Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started my first effort at food plot work. Over the winter I had trees cut and hauled out. Springtime brought the excavator and dozer for stump removal. The hot summer brought the tidious job of picking up and dragging all the leftover "stuff" off the plot and a soil sample. (Very low ph) 3 tons of lime was recommended. :dizzy:

First part of August I planted Winter Rye which was broadcast and rolled. A week later, the stuff was already shooting up! I'm excited to see how it's doing now. I was blessed with 3-4" of rainfall right after planting.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey Smoke
Can I ask how much the track hoe cost you and the amount of time ? I'm having a area logged this winter for a plot next year and wanted to prepare myself for the expense of a excavator

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Cool pics. Do you have any of it in the planted phase?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plant,

I ended up paying $1500 for the excavator and dozer. I know it sounds like alot but here's what I had. Approximately 125 stumps in the plot and trail that was put in to access the plot. The father and son team were there 3 hours. Yep! Only 3 hours. I was amazed.

I had thought about renting some equipment and doing it myself but I figured by the time I learned how to use the stuff I would have a big mess on my hands. And it probably wouldn't have been any cheaper.

I did use the little money I got from my logger to put towards the cost which helped. Unfortunately, I had mostly firewood.

·
Premium Member
5,054 Posts
What county are you in? Looks like you might be another member of the fern busters. Congrats on your new plot. My last two large plots we rented and tractor and did ourselves. We left the big stumps and pulled the smaller ones with a bobcat. Picking up sticks and debris seems to be beer ending task.

What kind of lime did you use? I have to apply 4 tons an acre so believe I understand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts