Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
mammoth Ivory is legal to trade as apposed to almost all natural ivory so rather common in the custom knife world and not at all rare. $3500 is way overpriced for that knife imo. Search the interweb and you can get a mammoth ivory handled blade for much less from many reputable crafters.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mammoth Ivory is legal to trade as apposed to almost all natural ivory so rather common in the custom knife world and not at all rare. $3500 is way overpriced for that knife imo. Search the interweb and you can get a mammoth ivory handled blade for much less from many reputable crafters.
I did not know that. I have no interest in such a knife, I just saw it and having never seen Woolly Mammoth scales before, thought it was rare. My "steal" comment was a little tongue in cheek. Thanks for the info, very interesting.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You're telling me it wasn't made by cave men! jk Sounds like a cool thing to have, little steep though I agree. :rolleyes:

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
Agreed this is way overpriced... It may be the only one this person has, but I am sure my knife maker could duplicate for much less, even with the handle material...

Sure there is way to authenticate the material, but quite sure this individual would not try to scam anyone for that kind of money.

EBay has a few mammoth handle knives listed now.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Mammoth ivory is old, most likely spent a lot of time underground or locked up in glacial ice for thousands of years and is rather identifiable by flaws, striations and color differences. Fresh ivory is white and very much a jail sentence. Not many knife crafters willing to deal in black market materials to make knife scales.

On another note - mammoth teeth are used for knife scales as well making some pretty cool handles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts