Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another battery (Natilus Gold) is smoked AGAIN!! It's less then 2 years old, and I'm freaking done with them. No problem, I'll just buck up for the gell cells, right??? WRONG! My Minnkota on-board charger is not compatible for gell cells:rant:! Ugggghh, when is enough enough. Anyone have a sailboat they want to get rid of? Anyone need a minnkota 3 bank charger? Or a 1 month old Natilus gold batt. (not the smoked one).
Okay, I'm done :gaga::gaga::gaga:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It's not the batteries. Thanks for the offer on the Minn-Kota charger, I'll pass. Nautilus Gold are not bad batteries. Go to Bass and Walleye Boats magazine on line and google Batteries and battery chargers. You should find some good articles. I would reccomend a new charger before spending $$ on new batteries again.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not the batteries. Thanks for the offer on the Minn-Kota charger, I'll pass. Nautilus Gold are not bad batteries. Go to Bass and Walleye Boats magazine on line and google Batteries and battery chargers. You should find some good articles. I would reccomend a new charger before spending $$ on new batteries again.
Ted,
Do you use your bowmount for trolling? It seemed like you did last Sunday. I'm being told that the acid/lead batteries are not meant to be run down on a constant basis i.e trolling for a long time.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
Man your just not having any luck with that are ya, The last batt's I bought for my 24volt bowmount I got at Sam's club.. I dont know any one that has a wind boat for sail but I hear jet sking is taking off:D I will be out at grassy island this weekend partying with buds from work and then going after mister big and ugly monday night.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Boy Ryan you sure know how to hurt a guy! Scott yes I was trolling with the bow mount. I went through a set of batteries in one season with my Minn-Kota three bank charger on the new boat. My old boat had a Guest (sp) charger. So I went out and picked up another Guest (sp) and have run my batteries for two seasons now with out any issues. I know alot of people bass and walleye guys that run their bow mount all day with standard batteries and they do not have battery issues. What gauge wiring is from the bow mount to the batteries? I am not a wiring expert but maybe you have too much heat due to thin wiring?? Although my first guess would be the charger. Minn-Kota makes great products, however I am not overly impressed with their three bank chargers.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hey Cookie, Posting at 3:05 am. Man you must have a sleeping problem. Sounds like you need to take up hand lining if you are up so early! :eek:

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RJT,
Yes, that was the bright side. However, I think Scott and I could have had a real good chance to limit out if the batts. would have held out.

Ted,
I'm not sure what gauge the wiring is. Goosebuster79 looked over the whole system and didn't make any comments on small wire or anything. I have a 15 h.p. merc. but i'm not sure if I should use it. The transom is maxed with the 150 h.p.

I guess i'll take the bad battery back and try a different charger.... or maybe trade the boat in for a couple dozen jetski's:idea::lol:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I purchased a Minnkota 2-bank charger in July on sale for $180. I ran the recommended 12 ga. wire to both batteries and so far no problems. The length of the run is about 13 ft. One battery is an 06 delco voyager and the other a recently purchased deep cell from the "battery man". Great price too.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Hey Cookie, Posting at 3:05 am. Man you must have a sleeping problem. Sounds like you need to take up hand lining if you are up so early! :eek:
Heck yea....that's a Half hour late compared to my wakeup time...so you'll just need to grab some things and run out of the house If you want to meet me at my boat!!:lol::lol: Although....I woke up at 2:00am this morning....started the coffee....Looked out side....poured a cup.....2 drinks and said screw it.....went back to bed!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah, sometimes I have a waking up problem. With 3 kids and my OL this is the only time I can get on the computer. heading out shortly.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think I jinxwd myself by responding to this post. Friday night I had the wife and daughter out for a short ride and fish. The trolling motor was doing some funny things. I had to run the motor at about a number 7 to get the right speed. Usually I run it on 3 or 4. I hope to check the fluid levels today. I am running the BPS deep cycles. They have performed well for the past two seasons. Got your message Cookie. Maybe you should have met Brent at the launch for a cup of coffee. Hopefully I can check the bow mount Monday morning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts