·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have used everything from carrots, lettuce, and celeree to actuall store bought bait with none working better over another.

Pat

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Use four apples cut up. Woodchucks are picky and don't go into a trap for a piece of apple. You need to appeal to their greed factor. Heap it up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Expand your horizons on what you think might be attractive to them in terms of veggies. I have explored this a few times myself over the years. From what little that I know, I found they are very attracted to "bait" in a cage trap comprised of a half peeled banana with a gob of peanut butter on the skin.

Its too late to try that now because they are probably in their state of semi-hibernation by now - holed up for the winter.

Thats all that I can offer at this juncture.

Jonathan

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have live trapped these for years and have found a couple of baits from Minnesota trapping supply that work. Also if you don't want to spend the money on that plain ole red cabbage seemed to work the best for me.

·
Registered
625 Posts
the old man knows what he's talking about....you are gonna have to wait for spring when they come out to see their shadow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello! I used a havahart live trap last year,and didnt have any success with woodchucks.I used lettuce and green apples.I didnt cover the trap with a tarp,maybe I didnt get it close enough to the burrow. I am wondering if I would be better off with a conibear over the hole just before dark,and leave it overnight. I live in area with neighbors,I dont see any dogs or cats running around though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I live in the Coldwater area on a farm and when I was a kid my grandpa made and sold lots of live traps. We always used sweet corn on the cob and caught lots of woodchuck.

·
Registered
15,191 Posts
I've used apples, chunks of bell squash, pumpkin chunks and sweetcorn on the cob. I like to cover the top and sides of the trap with grass or weeds. Make the trap stable so it doesn't move when they step inside and clear a nice trail to the entrance. Give them a small appetizer before they enter with the big prize visible behind the trip pan.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Try marshmallows with molasses on them. Got this fron a trapper. I put them in live traps and get the whole family in a couple of weeks
Works great

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used what he seemed to like out of our garden, a mixture between watermellon, Cantalope and tomatoes... but just a word of advice... I used a home made live trap my grandpa made and the woodchuck chewed holes through the sides which was sheet metal twice... ended up getting him with a leg trap set up right in front of the hole where he was getting into the garden under the fence

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I have used popcorn with success.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts