Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,105 Posts
My dad and I put up 3 of them on a public lake and the Huron River, we had to get permission from the DNR. I'd make 'em so there easily moved and remove them right before the season starts, lots of small game hunters and deer hunters like to use them for target practice.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are in a swamp part of a lake and i dont think anyone could get to them with out getting soaked! I was thinking about putting out about 7 or 8

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
younggun7,

I dont know officially what the rules are but do you think a CO is going to have a problem with someone doing something to help out the waterfowl :)

I put up 3 last year and have plans for another 5 this year and every year after.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Good question younggun, hopefully Boehr will see/answer within this thread. Mudflappimmc and I gathered the our kids together and had a nice father/daugher/son building event a few weeks ago which resulted in half a dozen wood duck boxes and a couple bat boxes. We intend to place them on a lake/swamp where we would like to establish a nice breeding and self sustaining community of ducks. Bat boxes were a byproduct of all the scrap we had left over, those are going in our own backyards.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hammerin' Hank make sure you put those bat boxes in a shady place. If they're out in the sun and get too hot the bat's won't use them. Just a little heads up. Keep up the good work fellas, I put up a wood duck house last winter on a pond by our camp on public property....still there. I plan on checking to see if it got used over spring break.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
3,788 Posts
Bow Hunter Brandon said:
younggun7,

I dont know officially what the rules are but do you think a CO is going to have a problem with someone doing something to help out the waterfowl :)

I put up 3 last year and have plans for another 5 this year and every year after.
you never know.

I plan on putting out alot im going to talk the park hq befor i do it. i found a new spot and its hard to get to. :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
I dont know the answer to the question but just wanted to share that I put 2 houses out last winter and 1 was productive of a family of wood ducks, It was very rewarding to see:p

The other is in my back yard on the Salt River too much comotion I think with my dogs and daily activities. but I did see a female woody under it in the spring, just couldnt convince her to rent it out;)

I think I will put a for rent sign on it this spring.

·
Registered
20,105 Posts
Bow Hunter Brandon said:
younggun7,

Kinda funny you should say that,, my dad takes the boxes down before each duck season and one year a CO, saw us coming outta the woods with one and he came "unglued". We told them it was ours we built it and we put it out there, he said it doesn't matter you can't just put up "bird houses" where ever you want to. My dad then pulled out the "permission slip", another CO had given him years prior. He wasn't real happy but said it was fine. Another "sorta" funny part to the story was, when he originally went to get permission, they were like, "NO". My dad had to total explain "wood duck habitat and how they nest" to these people, they had NO CLUE. They "reluctantly" said, ok but only 3 houses.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
William H Bonney said:
Kinda funny you should say that,, my dad takes the boxes down before each duck season and one year a CO, saw us coming outta the woods with one and he came "unglued".
That is a good point. If you do plan on taking them down, you may want to carve your initials or something on the back of the box. That way you can prove that you built it and you are not just stealing it.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Duckman Racing said:
That is a good point. If you do plan on taking them down, you may want to carve your initials or something on the back of the box. That way you can prove that you built it and you are not just stealing it.

Guess I beter call the CO up here and make sure its okay to put up more :)

Ours say built and maintained by Brandon and Laura Yuchasz 200*.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
younggun7,

Fill out a land use permit and on a map, mark where you plan to put them up and take it to the office on M-18.

Ken

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.