Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to use a wall tent with wood burning stove for heat. Have a Five Dog Stove and would like to know what I should expect for fuel consumption. Anyone use a stove in a tent? How much wood do you use per day, week? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
how long will that run on a 100lb tank? curious we use wood but are looking for another option in our GP medium 16x32 wall tent... Thanks

As for the wood consumption we prolly stock the stove which is a 50 gallon barrel 4 or 5 times a day.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
At least a week if not longer. I'll know for sure in 2 weeks. The one we use has a thermostat and everything. Wood stove long gone and chimney hole patched up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gatorgetter, I considered something like that but did not like the moisture propane puts out, and mostly liked the idea of a wood stove. I do have a Big Buddy for quick heat in the morning and backup, if needed.

Thanks Mike, that gives me something work from.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
We camp in a 16x20 ww2 army tent my grandfather brought back from Korea. We give it T.LC. every year before we take it hunting. U.P. iron county we usually go through a truck load of wood, 0-40 degrees in a week

·
Registered
476 Posts
I run a 14x17 wall tent with a 55 gal drum stove. I'd have to say in a week I prolly run thru a cord to cord and a half. But I keep it warm

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
We camp in a 16x20 ww2 army tent my grandfather brought back from Korea. We give it T.LC. every year before we take it hunting. U.P. iron county we usually go through a truck load of wood, 0-40 degrees in a week
Very nice! I hope you have another 50 years in it.

Reactions: JasonSlayer

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
We used something similar and it worked but moisture was an issue. I would go with the wood stove if I were to do it again.
Did you have a fly over you're tent? Many years ago before I started going to u.p. my dad and uncles had that problem. They said when they would go to bed at night the temp would be comfortable in the tent but when the fire went out and the tent cooled down the moisture from them breathing while they were sleeping would freeze to the ceiling of the tent. In the morning when they would get up and start the fire the heat would melt the moisture that had froze to to ceiling and drip throughout the tent. After they bought the canvas fly it took care of that issue.

·
Premium Member
9,687 Posts
Did you have a fly over you're tent? Many years ago before I started going to u.p. my dad and uncles had that problem. They said when they would go to bed at night the temp would be comfortable in the tent but when the fire went out and the tent cooled down the moisture from them breathing while they were sleeping would freeze to the ceiling of the tent. In the morning when they would get up and start the fire the heat would melt the moisture that had froze to to ceiling and drip throughout the tent. After they bought the canvas fly it took care of that issue.
We had a propane furnace in there. It stayed wet in there. Ours was the Cabelas Alaknak tent.
Tent Slope House Building Landscape

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
love them old army tents we had one my gramps brought back too can't beat them would still have it but my dad loaned it to a guy and when he was camping a tornado came through and we'll that was the end of that he replaced it with a tent the same size but it was not canvas :protest_e I was not happy about that at all but my old man is the one that told him he could replace it with that junk o well that was years ago I'm almost over it I think lol man I miss that old canvas tent

·
Registered
326 Posts
We have a wall tent that we use from time to time. I would absolutely advise against using propane unless it's your only option. A wood stove keeps the inside much more comfortable and much drier. Moisture was incredibly annoying when we used propane. Our tent's environment improved immensely once we built the stove and started using it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I can get through most of the week on a cord of hardwood (about $75 on craigslist) to provide heat, while also providing supplemental cooking (four dog stoves have a good door seal and an internal baffle that provided a hot spot for cooking) then I'd be quite satisfied. I'm really looking forward to having camp where I am only a few steps from the hunting woods! Another benefit is to provide a warm dry place for my 81 year old dad to go back to any time he needs a break.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
I can't recall moisture ever being a problem in ours but we don't sleep in it. It's our community area, eating , cooking and card playing area. We put tarps on the ground, then outdoor carpeting, the tent and then a fly over the tent. I'll pay attention this year to the moisture. Heat is off at night btw.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I can't recall moisture ever being a problem in ours but we don't sleep in it. It's our community area, eating , cooking and card playing area. We put tarps on the ground, then outdoor carpeting, the tent and then a fly over the tent. I'll pay attention this year to the moisture. Heat is off at night btw.
We use propane heat in our cooking and eating area as well. Just not in our sleeping quarters because it gets damp quickly.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
We use propane heat in our cooking and eating area as well. Just not in our sleeping quarters because it gets damp quickly.
I use a propane Big Buddy heater in my Cabela's Alaskan Guide dome tent. Never had a moisture problem because the fly forms a vapor barrier over the tent. There is a 4 in gap from tent to fly. Also, I always allow proper ventilation to enter and exit the tent. Most problems with propane heat in a tent are the result of an airtight tent without any air flow. Depending on the outside temp, I let it run all night while sleeping and it is perfectly safe and I have never had any moisture or condensation as a result of the heater. I run it off a 20 lb. tank on the outside of the tent with a 12 ft. hose and filter. No need for a regulator with this setup. I can run the heater for several days on high with 20 lbs. of propane. I have slept in my tent at -6 and was toasty warm and dry.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts