Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many post on here about deer loving Buckwheat. Put some plots in a couple areas in areas with good cover. Crop is doing well and looks very lush..........the problem is my deer have not touched the stuff. There are plenty of tracks through the fields, but not a nibble. My clover they are pounding! Buckwheat they seem to turn their nose up too.

It was only planted as a trial to see the result, and now I know. So green manure it will be in a couple of weeks and then the fall plots start to go in.

·
Registered
0 Posts
So many post on here about deer loving Buckwheat. Put some plots in a couple areas in areas with good cover. Crop is doing well and looks very lush..........the problem is my deer have not touched the stuff. There are plenty of tracks through the fields, but not a nibble. My clover they are pounding! Buckwheat they seem to turn their nose up too.

It was only planted as a trial to see the result, and now I know. So green manure it will be in a couple of weeks and then the fall plots start to go in.
In areas with a lot of agriculture, deer have plenty of options this time of year. They frequently go with what they know. I'm not sure if someone had convinced you buckwheat was way up there on the list of food deer prefer, but it's really not. Buckwheat has the advantages of soil-building and out-competing weeds, to give you a nice seed bed to work with for follow-on crops, but it's not a "deer magnet".

With that being said, you might find signs of browsing if you move a few taller plants aside. Deer like the youngest shoots they can find, which are often obscured by the older, taller plants. I noticed very little grazing on my BW until I started to really look for it. Even then it wasn't anything astonishing...just a few places where it was obvious something was nipping off tops.

In places with good-to-great soil the only thing I would recommend BW for is helping to choke out weeds in a piece of ground that hasn't been worked in a while. For those of us working with more marginal, sandy areas, BW is a life-saver! Along with winter rye, it forms the backbone of our food plot strategy. You notice dbltree doesn't recommend it for anything...that's because his soils don't need the benefits it offers.

·
Registered
36,298 Posts
Deer eat buckwheat in my area but only when it is young. Once it starts to get some height on it they pass it up. It helps put organic material back in the soil so matter what it is helpful.

·
Registered
519 Posts
... My clover they are pounding! Buckwheat they seem to turn their nose up too.

What other food types are local? Ag fields?

Mine are hitting it ok but is is the only food besides browse for a good distance.

·
Premium Member
6,346 Posts
Deer would not touch my first plantings years ago. I started mixing in sunflower seeds with it to entice them in. They devour my sunflower plants. Don't know if that did the trick or not but they eat it now from when it first sprouts, through its cycle and they even nibble the tops of the brown dead stems where I leave a few strips standing. They seem to be searching for a seed or two that did'nt fall to the ground.
If your soil building you can consider it a blessing they don't eat it.
Also buckwheat does not get planted until food is already in a time of plenty for the deer. So there are lots of options for them.

·
Registered
19,241 Posts
Deer eat buckwheat in my area but only when it is young. Once it starts to get some height on it they pass it up. It helps put organic material back in the soil so matter what it is helpful.
Perhaps you mow it down before the seeds ripen, but the deer will also eat the ripe seed heads in our our area much like we eat peanuts. Pheasants, turkeys and lots of non-game birds also eat the seeds so the ripened seed don't usually last long unless you are planting larger plots.

L & O

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Is completely gone. There's a few bare stems here and there, but the did a number on almost a complete acre (2 adjacent plots) within 4 to 5 weeks. Going to disk what's left plus the weeds in over the 4th and will replant in August.

Maybe its Ag in the area as well as soil type (plus your own clover) that's holding them back.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Deer from different areas like different things to eat. Last year I grew a nice crop of purple top turnips that went almost untouched. My brother in-law grew them at his place near Mt. Pleasant and they hammered them

I'm growing buckwheat for the first time this year and have not noticed much browsing on mine, which I'm glad for. I plan on tilling it under in a month or so and planting a mix of rye and clover for the fall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts