Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody body ever fish here? i beleive its commerce township or at least in that area. a few days ago i was passing by and saw it. i stopped and walked out on the ice. someone had already drilled holes and there were 5 inches of solid ice. im pretty sure it was a dnr boat launch.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I haven't fished it in years.I grew up about a mile from the boat launch.It's a decent lake for gills and bass. I heard it had been stocked with walleye a few years ago,but I don't know how well they did,it's a fairly shallow lake.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
I fished it quite a few times, notice the past tense "fished". :rolleyes: Mostly for gills. Heres the thing though, theres a group of "old-timers" that head out there at dark, to the right of the boat launch and fish for crappies. I also saw some guy land the biggest pike of my life on a tip up. As far as gills go,,, don't waste your time.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I live near the lake and fish it often. WHB is right about the crappies. Its hit or miss, but when the fishing is good, some real slabs can be pulled out of there.

The lake is mostly shallow but there are several deep holes (40ft in some spots). To the right of the boat launch is good for crappie at night, just line yourself up accross from the first brick house on the north shore. There is a couple 15 ft holes there.

Walleye used to be planted regularly in the 90s but then they skipped a few years and added some again 2 years ago.

Pike fishing is good also. Another good spot is straight accross from the DNR launch and a little to the left. There is another large deep hole there.

Fishing in front of the dam (off Glengary Rd) is good also and thats where I've had the best luck on the gills. Don't park at the party store. Park at the launch and just follow the shore to the left.

I haven't been out there at all this year since the ice has been real questionable. As a matter of fact, I saw a guy out there last week but other than that, haven't seen a soul out there since around christmas. If you try it, be real careful.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I can't address the ice fishing, but wench and i have fished this lake at least once each of last 5 years(its handy,and has summer water use restrictions)during open water season.. We've pulled about everything mentioned,plus some, from this body of water. as far as public access lakes the numbers of fish that can be caught here are as good as any in oakland county,size may not be all you would like, but the action makes it excellent for kids and folks that get bored or frustrated easily!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The lake has alot of pan fish, Bass and small pike in it. I don't think the marble eyes ever made it. I use to live about 2 miles from there and fished it off and on.

To anyone that lives around there now I have a question. Is the Glen Gary bar still open?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Yes! The Glengary Inn is still open (and thriving). I think its under new management also. I live a couple blocks from there.

While we're at it, this may or may not come as a shock to you, but the Athenian (around the corner on Benstein) is closed. Yes, sad but true, that cultural and intellectual Mecca has been torn down and replaced with one of those "trendy" sports bars. I think its called "The Draft" or something like that.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I also live very close to the lake, (3/4 of a mile from the launch) and fish it during the summer season often as its so close. Ice fishing out there is definatly hit and miss, although I have seen some real good Pike caught there. Bass in season can be good action all day, but not alot of big fish, for kids, the gill action can be non-stop around the docks in the shallows. Its where I taught my Daughter to fish, and we still go back a couple times a season to sharpen her skills.

For crappie, get a good lake map, find the deep holes, and fish at dusk and into the night. thats the best fishing, also in the area of the Dam lots of guys do well there, but like someone else said, DON'T park at the store, you will get a ticket. ALso at the launch, a warning. DO NOT park at the tie down area. Wolverine lake village police will give you a parking ticket, its 50.00, so unload, and move your vehicle to the regular lot. (learned this one the hard way, and wasn't even fishing, just walked out to see how a guy was doing, and check Ice thickness, Police officer didn't care, said no parking means no parking.) I smiled, and paid the fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts