Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to see a wolf hunting and trapping season based on OTC tag sales with a quota system. Let's say wolf season starts Nov. 15th (prime fur& pelts)with firearm deer season @ $20.00 per tag,limit one per hunter or trapper.Kill must be tagged immediately, reported to Dnr within 4 hours and wolf taken to a DNR check station within 48 hours for inspection. When the quota # is met the season is over.Updated hotline and website with number of wolves left in quota

----------------------------------VS----------------------------------------------------

A lottery draw system with points like Bear and Elk

IMHO the quota system would give the people most impacted by the wolves the best chance of harvesting one.The locals and Downstate hunters that hunt the U.P.

For the Record I have never hunted the U.P. but with a wolf and deer tag in my pocket and a few traps I might start.More $ for the U.P.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Sounds fair to me.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
I don't disagree with you. But you would have mountains to move to get there. You would be up against every animal rights group in the state. To convince them that wolves are overpopulated would be a stretch.

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
The DNR has already wiped out a bunch of them since the Feds got out of the game. Now according to Jennifer Granholm the wolves are bringing in millions of tourist dollars every year and all that you have to do is drive across the Mac bridge to see them. Right!!!!! Minnisota & Wisconsin will have seasons long before you ever see one in Michigan. You are talking a state that cannot have a season on Doves and Sandhill Cranes which are everywhere. How about a Cougar season they are getting pretty numerous in the UP too.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The DNR has already wiped out a bunch of them since the Feds got out of the game.
Seems a shame to waste a trophy animal to a dumpster when their numbers could be controlled by a hunting/trapping season.

The quota system is working in Idaho
$35 for a non-resident tag

·
Registered
35,750 Posts
We need a season soon. Make the tag $100.00 for all I care. I would stand in line to get one. The state should sell about 30,000 tags just like Idaho does. The money raised should be set aside for rebuilding the wolves main food resource which is the whitetail deer.

Michigan's UP already has many times over the sustainability level of wolves required in the plan. Russ Mason is on public record saying it was over 5 times that amount but that was years ago so the number is much higher, maybe 10 times by now.

UP moose and elk numbers have also been impacted by wolves. Soon they will begin to pray on elk in the LP. Once that begins to happen those seasonal tags may begin to disappear also. Without hunting wolves are at the top of the food chain which is a shame; that spot should be reserved for humans.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ $20.00 per resident tag and $150.00 non-resident,what hunter or canine trapper in the U.P. wouldn't buy a tag.Again when the quota has been harvested the season is over,be it two days or two months.30,000 tags sold is a real possibly.

The monies would support wolf and cougar management which is already a strain on the Dnr. Monies left after that to be use for large game management in the U.P. districts.

I know simple with to much common sense to become a reality in Michigan.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
How about a Cougar season they are getting pretty numerous in the UP too.
The state of Oregon alone had over 5000 cougar in 2011. I wouldn't sweat the mountain lion numbers in UP yet. You're lucky if you see one anyhow, even in states like Oregon where a real population exists.

·
Banned
640 Posts
I agree with a wolf hunting/trapping season..however!...simple fact is wolves in m.i. i here to stay. here is my point..the wolf population is really just getting a foothold and established..if we start hunting them now we may take out the good alpha males/females too soon..allowing less dominate traits to be passed on...thus creating wolves that may rely on more human contact to survive instead of the wild...my point in this is look at our deer genetics..I agree with the ability to hunt/trap..im reserved to say this is the correct time.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't disagree with you. But you would have mountains to move to get there. You would be up against every animal rights group in the state. To convince them that wolves are overpopulated would be a stretch.
Wolves being "overpopulated" is not the issue. Since reintroduction, the populations have grown well over the initial recovery goal. Now that they can no longer be considered threatened, their needs to be a management plan in place. Yes environmental groups will oppose it, but it is the DNR which needs to make the push for an actual season. Lobbyists and activists can pressure politicians all they want, but they can't make or repeal laws themselves.

I wouldn't call 800-900 elk in the state a huge herd (or overpopulated across the state), but given the relatively small area they inhabit and the management plan, they need to be hunted.

If Idaho, Montana, Minnesota and even Wisconsin can get it done, so can Michigan.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
I agree with a wolf hunting/trapping season..however!...simple fact is wolves in m.i. i here to stay. here is my point..the wolf population is really just getting a foothold and established..if we start hunting them now we may take out the good alpha males/females too soon..allowing less dominate traits to be passed on...thus creating wolves that may rely on more human contact to survive instead of the wild...my point in this is look at our deer genetics..I agree with the ability to hunt/trap..im reserved to say this is the correct time.

Do you shoot spikes every year and still wonder why you don't see big bucks? Michigan's genetics are fine; it's the age at which most a shot is the problem. That's a different discussion.
How many years/generations of wolves do you need in order to create a situation where there are a sustainable number of alpha males/females to insure successful numbers? Clearly there is no problem with wolves breeding in Michigan. As a poster already pointed out there are far far fewer elk in Michigan and how long have we been hunting them? Is that because they're not cute and cuddley to the average city slicker?? Probably. The wolves are here to stay, you are correct. No pro wolf person on this site or any other has ever given a reason why there shouldn't be a wolf season, albeit a limited one that wasn't emotionally irrational.

·
Banned
640 Posts
Do you shoot spikes every year and still wonder why you don't see big bucks? Michigan's genetics are fine; it's the age at which most a shot is the problem. That's a different discussion.
How many years/generations of wolves do you need in order to create a situation where there are a sustainable number of alpha males/females to insure successful numbers? Clearly there is no problem with wolves breeding in Michigan. As a poster already pointed out there are far far fewer elk in Michigan and how long have we been hunting them? Is that because they're not cute and cuddley to the average city slicker?? Probably. The wolves are here to stay, you are correct. No pro wolf person on this site or any other has ever given a reason why there shouldn't be a wolf season, albeit a limited one that wasn't emotionally irrational.
no i dont kill spikes havent killed a deer less than 3 yrs old ever...in 2008 the estimated population was 500 wolves...in a state this size...i would say its a recovery in process. Considering that in the 50's they were in all 83 counties in michigan...im not saying that there shouldnt be a season, but 500 wolves definitely wouldnt be open to all, and seems like a small genetic pool to ensure the best genes are going to be passed on if we start hunting them now

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
no i dont kill spikes havent killed a deer less than 3 yrs old ever...in 2008 the estimated population was 500 wolves...in a state this size...i would say its a recovery in process. Considering that in the 50's they were in all 83 counties in michigan...im not saying that there shouldnt be a season, but 500 wolves definitely wouldnt be open to all, and seems like a small genetic pool to ensure the best genes are going to be passed on if we start hunting them now

In the 50's there were not wolves in all 83 counties in Michigan. I doubt that there were any wolves at all in Michigan. Where did you come up with this?

·
Registered
209 Posts
hubbhunter im likeing that thought your haveing we do need more game animals to hunt and help with a larger wolf population to increase more succesful hunting, maybe check in on the wolf in 5 or 10 years will produce good trophies too.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
For those of you who complain that the wolf numbers are so high here, go up and hunt NE Minnesota where there's still 3500 wolves and plenty of deer to shoot. Until some people reach out and see what happens elsewhere, this issue is mute too.

The same can be said in Idaho and Northern Montana.

We have no reason to complain at this time....

People need to travel and see what is happening elsewhere before placing blame...just like the OP hasn't ever hunted the UP but wants a wolf season.

We'd be better off hoping for mild winters and restructuring of winter habitat.

Indians and poachers probably take more deer in certain locales in the UP than wolves do. Maybe we should focus on that.

·
Banned
640 Posts
In the 50's there were not wolves in all 83 counties in Michigan. I doubt that there were any wolves at all in Michigan. Where did you come up with this?
yeah i muffed that stat up...either way...since the 60's they have been on the state endangered list....so its basically took over 45 yrs to get the population to 500, give or take a few....heck at that rate i say kill em all....better yet put a bounty on them chicken killing machines...my point being is 500 or so wolves, hardly represents a huntable population....and i would venture to say there are probably more sasquatch sightings in M.I..per year than wolves...hunt those!

·
Registered
62 Posts
uptracker,
Maybe you should do a little reaching out yourself before you start stating your opinion. I see you live in the sault area and I'm not far from there, trying to blame the tribal hunters is a popular thing for ignorant people like yourself. If you look into the harvest numbers for the eastern U.P. tribal harvest is around 29%, who's killing the other 71%? You tried to give a lecture and just came off sounding like a dip$h!t.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think he meant 1750's ;)

[SIZE=-1]
Michigan History
Wolves are native to Michigan and were once present in all 83 counties. Persecution and active predator control programs throughout the 20th century virtually eliminated wolves from Michigan: by 1840, they could no longer be found in the southern portion of the Lower Peninsula; by 1935 they had completely disappeared from the Lower Peninsula; and by 1960, when the state-paid bounty on wolves was repealed, they had nearly vanished from the Upper Peninsula. The last known pups born during this era were documented in 1954-1956, in the area now known as Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.
[/SIZE]

·
Banned
640 Posts
yeah i admit i got that years wrong...however they were in all the counties at one time...again im not saying they should be again for obvious reasons...however all the vacant land in detroit may make a good habitat for them...lol...might be a different story for the dope dealers at night if they had a chance of getting mauled by a pack of wolves..

1 - 20 of 60 Posts