Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived at the pier this morning at about 4 am and was met with a crowd of fishermen leaving. Waves were too high and the wind too strong to logically attempt to fish.

My dad (dechilson) had been there for nearly an hour already and verified that conditions were too dangerous. When everyone else was in their cars and leaving, we decided to cast some in the harbor off the stub pier, where the waves were much smaller.

After 2 hours of nothin, we decided to try the big pier again since the wind seemed to have died down some. The harbor was full of boats as well as outside the pierheads. Waves were still crashing over sporatically, but most of us tried to avoid them...apparently my dad was not "most of us".

He hooked up with our first king at about 6:30 am with a orange spotted glow cleo, tossing it right between the pier heads. A nice 15 lb fish. Soon everyone had the same spoon and was trying that - with no luck. I switched over to my old reliable KO Wobbler and had my first hit at about 7 am. We landed it, another king about 13 pounds. My first pier king of the year (my first trip - but not my last).

About 3 casts later I hooked up again. This time, surprise - surprise it was a beautiful steelie. Yup, Dave, them jumpers can be a pain! A slow landing net cost us this fish after 3 spectacular leaps!

Overall I went 1-2. Not a bad morning...early season, windy, rough, but productive. Catch the BUG!:fish:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dave: I noted that the touch of the casting baits had warmed up considerable since the two I'd caught the previous day. Especially about 9 this morning just prior to our leaving.
Martin: I did suggest that Paul get a picture of the waves crashing up in front of me with no water - But man that was a gully washer. No need of a bath until next week

My king was 16 lbs and 37 inches.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey paul, think the water is going to warm up today up there.The water here went from 55 to 63 while fishing and no kings:(

It may. Not sure what your weather is today, but the winds here have only gotten worse. If the wind keeps up we may be hosting the Green Bay Packers soon! Not sure what this constant wind will do to the flip.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Man i gets tough reading these type of posts when i cant get up there yet. Great job on the fish though. Sounds like h*** is starting to break loose ehh?? I'll be around "bankfort" not this coming week but the whole week after. Can't wait

1 - 10 of 10 Posts