Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to try my Smith 40.............to cheap to buy hunting ammo....................Cartridge in a collet in the lathe................3/16 inch end mill in tail stock........very uniform hollow point.

Deer at 35 yds broad side.................fell to the shot..............front shoulder
Bullet Wood Font Cylinder Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Had to try my Smith 40.............to cheap to buy hunting ammo....................Cartridge in a collet in the lathe................3/16 inch end mill in tail stock........very uniform hollow point.

Deer at 35 yds broad side.................fell to the shot..............front shoulder View attachment 868597
Did you recover the bullet ? Curious how it performed physically. Obviously it performed well because he dropped. Did it mushroom or did it stay mostly solid ? FMJ bullets typically have heavier jackets.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't do anything with the deer...............four grandsons take it and cut and wrap..............forgot to tell them to look for slug and save it..................next time

·
Registered
162 Posts
Be careful putting loaded rounds in a lathe. Static electricity can build build up and set them off. I saw it happen once. The guy was picking unburnt power out of his face for weeks.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

Deer at 35 yds broad side.................fell to the shot..............front shoulder View attachment 868597
Nice shooting. I carried a .40 for a few years and considered the pistol for one of those “over the right shoulder” deer who come too close. However, my bigger problem is seeing deer on public land when I’m too lazy to work harder at it!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cb223..............................it was only a quick way to get some rounds....................will never do it again..................THANKS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts