Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Weekend Worrior said:
What kind of reel should I run for wire?
Looking to add a couple this year.
Thanks in advance.
I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on this....
I like the Okuma Convector CV30D or CV45D, both line counters, affordable and with proper care, will last many years of "weekend" use.

·
Premium Member
12,995 Posts
I run mine on daiwa sg27lc's and they work well. The smaller spool, I beleive it;s 600yds fills them nicely and I like the feel of a smaller reel.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I run Diawa SG47LC's with 1000' 30lb 7 strand SS wire. I run a 10' Diawa heartland rod with a twilli tip. 1000' fills the reel perfect.

There are a dozen other rods and reels that will do it. Some of my wire rigs have litterally 1000's of hours and 1000's of pounds of fish, and I've never had a single malfunction or breakoff with my setups.

BTW: I have two RP2 roller rods if anyone is lookin. I would change the tip to a swivel tip if your gonna run wire. Was looking for $250 or so(make offer) for the pair.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have the Convectors on my wire setups but if I was doing it again I'd use the Diawa's Jason recommended. My Convectors bleed line off the drag unless I tighten the drag up tighter than I like too, annoying after awhile, anyone else have that problem with the Convectors? One things for sure, you'll love the wire!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I see Mr. Twister has a pair of wire rigs in the for sale section Convector 30D's on roller rods, I think he's asking $250 for the pair.... If he still has them

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
You sure don't need a Convector 45 to run wire, a 30 holds plenty more than 1000' of 7 strand uncoated wire. I have used the 30 with LC for 4 seasons without any problem, finally replacing the wire this season on that one. The SG47LC fit's 1000' 30# perfectly, and the SG27LC holds 1000' 20# perfectly as well.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Any decent levelwind with a linecounter will work.

The Okuma convectors are nice and can be upgraded with a factory supplied washer to eliminate drag creep.

The Daiwa lineup also is very reliable and can be upgraded if desired as well.

Shakespeare Tidewaters are very worthy although they never really took off in the market.

Higher end would be the Shimano Tekota 600LC. 2-3 times the price, but they feel real nice and do a great job. Probably overkill for just fishing as a hobby though, the previous 3 listed will do a great job for a fraction of the cost.

There are other models and other manufacturer's out there as well, but these seem to be what the majority of folks are using.

Good Luck and have a great time on the water this season!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I had four tidewaters stolen out of my boat two years ago. I replaced them with cabelas depthmasters and I almost am glad someone took those shakespears away. I suggest the depthmasters they are not bad priced and perform well at least for a weekend warrior like me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts