Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The is my first time winterizing my camper. The previous owner had antifreeze throughout the water system. Do I only need to do the piping and water heater? Is there a better way to winterize? I am putting it inside non heated storage.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
The is my first time winterizing my camper. The previous owner had antifreeze throughout the water system. Do I only need to do the piping and water heater? Is there a better way to winterize? I am putting it inside non heated storage.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Red pop in all traps including tub. Don't forget outside shower if you have one. If water heater does not have a by pass get one,that will save you 6 or 10 gallons of anti freeze. I use a compressor to blow out the lines first (20 psi) then pump the pop in. Do a search on utube .

·
Registered
552 Posts

I drain the hot water heater, flip the shut off value for the water to the hot water heater (its a bypass), then blow the main lines out with an air compressor.

I then put anti-freeze in all the traps and and in the grey and black tanks, and drain the fresh water tank leaving the drain open.

Putting antifreeze through the whole water system works just fine too... just more work in the spring flushing it all out.

·
Administrator
27,085 Posts
I drain the hot water heater, flip the shut off value for the water to the hot water heater (its a bypass), then blow the main lines out with an air compressor.

I then put anti-freeze in all the traps and and in the grey and black tanks, and drain the fresh water tank leaving the drain open.

Putting antifreeze through the whole water system works just fine too... just more work in the spring flushing it all out.
I do exactly the same.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Watched some videos on YouTube. Seems pretty straight forward. I freak out a little bit when I hear the word "winterize", I hate paying for dumb mistakes. I couldn't find a video showing the use of compressed air. So how do you use that to blow out the lines?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Watched some videos on YouTube. Seems pretty straight forward. I freak out a little bit when I hear the word "winterize", I hate paying for dumb mistakes. I couldn't find a video showing the use of compressed air. So how do you use that to blow out the lines?
You can buy an air fitting from the hardware or RV parts store .It has male threads to fit into your city water connection on your rv . Get the one that has a valve stem so you can pressurize your water lines like inflating a tire. They cost about $4.

·
Administrator
27,085 Posts
I open all faucets and blow till no water left. Then fill traps with pink stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts