Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering...

How do you guys winterize your outboard motors? The last few years, I just added stabil to the gas tank and tilted the motor to make sure most of the water was drained out of the water pickup. Anybody do the fogging stuff in the carbs or cylinders? What about romoving water from the impellar and lines inside the motor block? Will that water freeze and possible crack the block? maybe I've been lucky the past few years...

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
Drain the lower unit oil and put in fresh. Letting that slop sit in there over the winter especially if there's a drop or two of water in the oil does the gears not one bit of good.
Water in the impeller lines I believe will just gravity drain out. After running the engine with muffs, i'll let it drain and then knock the engine a couple of times not completely starting it but turning it over a bit. Hopefully getting out a little more water.
Yep, fogging oil in the cylinders also.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I would add your stabil and tow around the block to mix it up, run the motor with pink stuff(anti-freeze) on muffs, fog the carb till it dies(still running on muffs), pull the plugs and shoot the cylinders with fog, then change your lower fluid. 20minutes, no water left in engine, she'll purrr come spring time.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Put the Stabil in before you fill your tank for the last time to mix it up. I just squirted some fogging fluid in the cylinders. Had an old Johnson 9.5 that I just changed lower unit oil , and ran great for years.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
sounds like you guys have a handle on it,,,but I will add this is a good time to hit the zerks on the motor clamps with some fresh grease and a little vasoline on the battery terms and connections will keep them nice and clean

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
no not as good as the fancy stuff,but most people have it handy and it dose a lot better job than nothing

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
What type of oil do I use in the lower unit?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts