Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I waited a little to long. I didn't think it had been cold enough, especially since my boat is indoors, in the pole barn. It actually cracked the block, no luck with soft plugs. Anybody know if it can be welded,or is it trash the motor time. The reason it hadn't been winterized p until then was we were still going to hit the perch if weather permitted. Not now.

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Chuck1 said:
I waited a little to long. I didn't think it had been cold enough, especially since my boat is indoors, in the pole barn. It actually cracked the block, no luck with soft plugs. Anybody know if it can be welded,or is it trash the motor time. The reason it hadn't been winterized p until then was we were still going to hit the perch if weather permitted. Not now.

Low temps the day after thanksgiving in the single digits :yikes: Spells disaster if you didnt have heat on the motor.Sorry to read about your misfortune.Sometimes blocks can be repaired but not always.Depending on the severeity of the crack/s and more than likely theres more than a crack, its probaly a goner

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I would agree with the first two posts, depending on the size of the crack it may be repairable if you want to take that chance, most likely though it is a loss

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Chuck1 said:
Insurance probably don't cover that right? Although technically it was an accident right?
I doubt it. But it never hurts to ask. ;)

If the crack is just in the outer portion of the water jacket, it could be repairable. But if it's cracked into a cylinder or near a water passage it's toast.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a 40 hp force outboard, I've been told that with outboards all you need to do is fog the motor. After reading these posts I thought to myself, what about the water in the waterjackets?
Is there a antifreeze to run throught the motor for outboards.
I was told not to start them with no water, should I run it for a second without water hooked up to make sure its all out, or will that blow my water pump being there is no water.:confused:

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Any time you run yoru motor without water, your run the risk of trashing an impeller.

As for insurance covering your damage, you definitly wanna check. I know a guy that tried to put heat on his boat on his own and hooked a line up wrong. When he started it, the criss-crossed line flooded the motor instantly. Totally his fault, but insurance covered a new motor beacuse it was an "accident".

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Never hurts to ask the insurance company...as long as it was an accident you may have a chance..I am sure your deductible is a lot less than a new motor would cost...good luck

·
Registered
277 Posts
I froze and broke my block 2 years ago. I tried turning it in to my insurance. With no luck. I was told they are not responsible for pour maintenance. They told me it was the same as not putting oil in the motor. I hope you get a better response from your insurance.

What size motor do you have? I have a line on a couple of motors.

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
Walleyefishingrocks, Outboards drain themselves, just be sure to:

Let the motor drain completely in the down (trim) position.

Turn the key on and off quickly, to spin any water out of the stainless steel cup that the impeller sets in. Do NOT let it run for more than 1-2 seconds.

be sure to drain and replace lower unit oil every winter.

If you want to fog it before you put it away, do it at the dock, or with the"muffs" on, while at idle. Alot of guys take the gas line off and run the gas out of the carb, I don't myself, I just disconnect the hose.

Hope this helps. I use my outboard on my river boat all winter long with no problems. ;)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You are hosed it's a goner

as for insurance neglect is not a accident unless you can prove the "heater" in you barn malfunctioned and you can claim it on homeowners

·
Registered
680 Posts
Spanky said:
Walleyefishingrocks, Outboards drain themselves, just be sure to:

Let the motor drain completely in the down (trim) position.

Turn the key on and off quickly, to spin any water out of the stainless steel cup that the impeller sets in. Do NOT let it run for more than 1-2 seconds.

be sure to drain and replace lower unit oil every winter.

If you want to fog it before you put it away, do it at the dock, or with the"muffs" on, while at idle. Alot of guys take the gas line off and run the gas out of the carb, I don't myself, I just disconnect the hose.

Hope this helps. I use my outboard on my river boat all winter long with no problems. ;)
Spanky,
If I were to go out say once every 2 weeks,(in the winter) would it still be alright to just let the motor drain in the down position? The boat sits outside covered, but still in the elements.
When you talk of disconnecting the gashose, is that every time you pull it out or just if you were to store it for the winter?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
being a welder for the past 20+ years i'd have to say it's probaly toast... all depends on where and how big the cracks are. spanks advice is right, thats the same thing i did with my outboard and never had a problem with it freezeing up. i did freeze and bust my lower unit once due to not changeing it in the fall. never do that again.good luck on the motor

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
Raymond, thats just if you are gonna leave it out for 2-3 months, yes it will be fine to just let it drain, If you are leaving it outside, try to leave the motoer all the way down when you get her home, keeps snow from filling up the hub of the prop. You should be good to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts