Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Property I hunt got winter wheat planted very late, I think there may be 6-10 inches of growth at the absolute most.. what stage of its growth or time of year will they start targeting it as the corn and beans get harvested in southern Michigan?

·
Registered
18,242 Posts
They are likely already browsing it.
With varied options ,often it's a light snack then moving on.

Without an exclusion cage or camera it's not easy to note activity.
My rye (they teat winter wheat the same on my site) fights to get to two or three inches in the fall , from being browsed.

I have them on wheat or rye from seeding time in August , into to midwinter.
They can visit ag..So it's not as if I'm exclusive.
Bedding/cover close helps. As does being in a passing through area.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are likely already browsing it.
With varied options ,often it's a light snack then moving on.

Without an exclusion cage or camera it's not easy to note activity.
My rye (they teat winter wheat the same on my site) fights to get to two or three inches in the fall , from being browsed.

I have them on wheat or rye from seeding time in August , into to midwinter.
They can visit ag..So it's not as if I'm exclusive.
Bedding/cover close helps. As does being in a passing through area.
Sorry should have clarified this is apprx 60 acres of winter wheat planted by the farmer

Reactions: Waif

·
Registered
18,242 Posts
Sorry should have clarified this is apprx 60 acres of winter wheat planted by the farmer
Best odds of seeing local deer congregate on it en masse will be next spring.
I'd check field corners and or crossing routes for areas to watch for now.
Even tight into a certain "better" corner.

Reactions: Scout 2

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
If it's 10 inches high they may not hit it. He might of planted early for that very reason. Mine is usually mowed. I have seen them in fields at about 5 or 6 inches but never in high 10 inch growth. Then again I imagine just like anything else, it matters what else is available. Survival dictates over preference JMO.

·
Registered
19,003 Posts
Property I hunt got winter wheat planted very late, I think there may be 6-10 inches of growth at the absolute most..
If it is 6-10" it was planted early, not late. About 1/2 that height would be much better.
They will eat wheat that tall during the winter when they're hungry. Let us know what you see the next 3 weeks.

L & O

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
Best odds of seeing local deer congregate on it en masse will be next spring.
I'd check field corners and or crossing routes for areas to watch for now.
Even tight into a certain "better" corner.
My thoughts exactly. Our deer shun ww til then, same with rye, got a big farmer scratch it in build soil don't use till spring.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just happened to see 6 feeding in WW field today about 5:10pm. They were sort of hidden behind a hill. The wheat was about 4”.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe my guess was off, just saw it from the road. I don’t think they planted until late September to mid October I don’t remember lol sorry

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts
Property I hunt got winter wheat planted very late, I think there may be 6-10 inches of growth at the absolute most.. what stage of its growth or time of year will they start targeting it as the corn and beans get harvested in southern Michigan?

I'm seeing every deer in the neighborhood on a WW field on my morning sits. They're in and out of it all day long. It's at about the same stage of growth your's is.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you got 6-10 it didn't get planted late. Most Farmers would be thrilled to have 6 inches before the first hard frost. Winter Wheat is the very last thing the deer eat mainly about December when most of the acorns mast is gone. IMO for the lower West Central.

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
I have not been able to see my food plots since the snow hit. Mine was about 6-7" tall when the snow hit so maybe they will be hitting it hard for gun season. My mian plot is a gas line through the woods. Came up great but the leaves covered much of it. I thought I had a extra week to get in there and leaf blow it but that never happened.

Thanks to Bigbear I was able to get it in exactly when I needed to.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Heads up!

I LOVE rye fields that are fall planted. My guess is winter wheat works the same, but they are AWESOME for finding deer shed antlers in March. I get just as pumped about shed antler hunting as I do bowhunting anymore. It's fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts