Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share a picture of the buck I shot in Kansas. I made the trip down to hunt with a rancher I know. He planted about 20 acres of winter wheat and the deer were just hammering it. The wheat wasn't very high but the deer seemed to like it.

The WW in my Minnesota plot was eaten at the start but the taller it got the less the deer seemed to eat it. Seems like they prefer the fine shoots. Maybe I'll do a later planting next year. Overall it was a successful year with one doe taken with my bow over my first ever hunting plot and the above buck.

Merry Christmas to all.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is what the field looks like. Doesn't appear to be anything there but the deer know it's there. I've seen this in Wisconsin as well. The Rye appeared so small but the deer hit it every night.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Nice looking deer Butternut. Your WW plot is huge! Did you plant it yourself?
What are your future plans for that plot? Are you planning to keep it the same next year?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brokenarrow, the picture is of the plot in Kansas that the rancher put in. He does this every year to benefit the deer and the turkeys.

My plot in Minnesota is about 1/2 acre in size. I do plan on planting wheat again only a little later and also expanding it to about 2 acres.

In Kansas the deer come from miles around to get to this field. It is the only green piece around. I would think a plot in the middle of big timber would have the same drawing power?

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Congrats on the buck...a real nice one!

Great looking plot in KS as well, with GREAT habitat....that would be nice to hunt that property every year if possible.

G

·
Butternut, you said that a field of WW planted in big timber would have the same drawing power. How about twice twice the drawing power versus in an open field, and you should see them arrive earlier.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone.

NorthJeff it would be a dream to hunt this every year but unfortunately the Rancher will be selling. Unsure if I'll be able to hunt it again or not.

Ed I believe it (twice the drawing power). That would be a great setup. A 10+ acre planting of ww in big timber.

In my area of Minnesota I know of no one that plants food plots or leaves any standing crop whatsoever for the deer. I think once I get enough ground established in food plots I should be able to see an increase in deer useage later in the season. (as compared to deer leaving for their wintering area 3 miles to the North).

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
I thought a few years back that I could keep the dee from moving to their yards if I planted a good over winter food source. I have great winter cover right next to the plots (50 acres of new growth popple mixed with blow down) My adjacent 100 acres is mixed and decent cover also.
The plots were planted and grew nice but after the snow got to 15 inches they were gone again. Instinct (I feel anyways) is hard to break or even change. Makes you wonder if its instinct or what is learned and passed down from generation to generation on their movements?
I also have a snow mobile trail that runs thru the land which would provide them with a break from trudging thru the heavy snows if they want. Stll cant hold the deer over winter.
Anyone have luck changing deer habits like that?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Broken arrow- do you have conifers for thermal cover?

I also have a snowmobile trai on the south end of my property. Sometimes I think this moves the deer out. The coyote hunters with hounds do the same.

Some years the deer leave my property when the snow gets up around the 18 inch level. Most years I can still hold one family group with standing corn and conifers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts