Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have two quads that i'd like to use fishing this winter. before i always just used ramps and hauled in back of picjk up.but now with two i can't. my question is i have a 2 place snowmobile tailer with snow guard. the salt still gets thrown on the snow machines an i don't wat this with mt quads.
question
are covers for the quads the way to go or are they a pain??if you have covers an like them where did you get them??
any recomendations??????????

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Cabelas trailerable cover is a good one to start with. Its a heavy material and I havent had any isues with it after two winters.

I learned my lesson the first time i travelled with a quad on my trailer with out a cover.

Will never do that again.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I am new to atvs. Why do they need to be covered? I have a ranger, should I cover this while trailering? If so with what?

·
Registered
20,132 Posts
I cover mine,,, but realistically it doesn't matter. That salt and slush gets in there somehow. It limits the salt coverage but doesn't eliminate it. The only way to not get any salt on it is an enclosed trailer. I "only" use my ATV in the winter for ice-fishing and it doesn't matter what precautions I take,, salt still gets up in there. I just pull it through the do-it yourself car wash,, plunk in the quarters and do the trailer and ATV at the same time. I do this either the day of,, or the next day, the salt never stays there more than 24 hours. It's a pain in the asss, but worth it, IMO>

·
Registered
10,108 Posts
I am new to atvs. Why do they need to be covered? I have a ranger, should I cover this while trailering? If so with what?
Covered mine once, cabelas cover, scratched the heck out of it. Never ever will I cover one again. Road grime washes off, scratches dont

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Yep I bought one of the primo Cabelas covers and used it once........then sent it back.........spray wash is quick and easy and the cover didn't stop the salt anyways.

·
Registered
681 Posts
1 thing to think about with the soft covers is that they fit tight when installed on the machine, so if there is any dirt/mud on your machine it will be worked into the plastic causing scratches and fading. i use to haul my machines in the back of my truck before i stepped up to a sled trailer like your talking about and just washed my machines when i got back into town near my house, then after they were in the garage and warmed up i hit most of it with wd40, that was then. now i have a universal atv cover and havnt had any problems with road salt or debris

actually its an 8x20 car hauler that i picked up used for 2800 and it was an 05. these trailers are out there real cheap now with fuel prices up there. nice thing with these is they can double as a shed also if your short on garage space.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I have the XXL Heavy Duty Cabelas trailering cover and it works well. No scratches on my rig from it so ???? And if it did, I guess I wouldn't care much...it's plastic and it's an atv that sees play time and utility work....it's not a trailer queen show and shine machine ;). The cover does an admiral job of keeping the unit clean...it covers the whole machine, almost to the trailer floor and cinches up nice and tight. If your trailer does not have a solid floor, you'll get salt/road grime up under the unit though, but not bad. I will never trailer my quad in the fall/winter without a cover thats for sure. If you have a basic utility trailer, put a solid floor in it and take some plywood to make 3ft front and front sides for some added protection....makes a difference. Doesn't help mileage but who cares, you're already towing and getting poor mileage anyway. Oh, and the cover goes on the atv at camp during the night as well. The $100 I spent on the cover has been an excellent investment. The atv also stays covered in my garage when not in use.
I have the grey XXL one...
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...arentType=index&parentId=cat601650&id=0040939

·
Registered
10,108 Posts
My machines are far from trailer queens. They see a lot of riding during a year, scratches and dirt are part of use, this dont bother me. The scratches they recieved from trailering were unessary and this i considered abuse. I'll stick to washing since I have to do it anyway. I had the same cover as the one you mentioned, it aint bad for covering lawn furniture

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
My machines are far from trailer queens. They see a lot of riding during a year, scratches and dirt are part of use, this dont bother me. The scratches they recieved from trailering were unessary and this i considered abuse. I'll stick to washing since I have to do it anyway. I had the same cover as the one you mentioned, it aint bad for covering lawn furniture
Mine hasn't scratched it a bit...??? Fleeced lined and as long as the fleece is kept clean, I can't see how it would scratch. I tow it about 400 miles almost every weekend from Mid September to the end of December. Between the factory racks, additional racks, and gun rack, the cover barely touches any plastic anyway, at least on my Brute Force...every quad is different though. And my Kawasaki plastic does scuff and scratch easily from boots and jeans etc. (will get camo next time)

I wash mine as well, but it sucks getting to camp and your green quad is covered in a solid white film of salt...thats abuse! Enclosed trailer or quality cover is a must have imo. I did the first fall with no cover and it showed, even after religious washings each week.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Gander Mt, Cover, about $40 and stop most of the moisture getting on the machines, still have to spray them down. I got my cover to stop debris from hitting my quad, I was afraid of a rock or somthing putting cracks in the body or even breaking the head lights.

The cover is easy to put on goes all the way over the tires. I have a polaris 330 magnum and it fits great. I am going to get another one for my wifes quad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts