Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone going to give hunting a shot with the approaching storm? I've had a few occasions where it got the deer moving early, but just as many that it didn't seem to make a difference. I think the hunting pressure in the area has a lot to do with that.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'll be out tomorrow night after work. Wasn't anything moving tonight, so hopefully tomorrow before the "BIG" storm the weather guessers are predicting.

·
Registered
36,314 Posts
Here's what they are saying for my area. Thursday and Friday should be a good day to be outside. The migration should begin by the weekend. I'll be back at camp trying to fill a tag. :)

Issued by The National Weather Service
Alpena/Gaylord, MI
6:56 pm EST, Mon., Dec. 7, 2009

... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM TUESDAY TO 7 AM EST THURSDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM TUESDAY TO 7 AM EST THURSDAY.

* HAZARDS: HEAVY SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD EASTERN UPPER AND NORTHERN LOWER MICHIGAN TUESDAY EVENING AND CONTINUE THROUGH WEDNESDAY. COLD AIR AND STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS WILL SWEEP INTO THE REGION WEDNESDAY NIGHT BEHIND THE DEPARTING LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM... LEADING TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS AND CREATING AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION: SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 12 INCHES IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE WARNED AREA TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THROUGH THE DAY ON WEDNESDAY... WITH AN ADDITIONAL 3 TO 6 INCHES EXPECTED INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS: VISIBILITIES WILL DROP TO A QUARTER MILE OR LESS WITHIN THE HEAVY SNOW. ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED AND HAZARDOUS. STRONG WINDS WILL CAUSE SUBSTANTIAL BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW... ESPECIALLY LATER WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT... WHICH WILL FURTHER DETERIORATE TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT 36 HOURS. SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... USE EXTREME CAUTION.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Had to take tomorrow off of work due to a funeral at 11. I am going to go out until 9:30 though.
sslopok

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A buddy of mine had good movement last night in Wisconsin, better than it has been, and the storm was still quite a ways away.

·
Premium Member
9,398 Posts
Just Great:sad: But, they'll mover after it :D

·
Registered
981 Posts
Of course it happens the week of our muzzleloader trip! I will be out there Wed-Sunday sitting in whatever mother nature throws at me!Hopefully by the weekend it has blown through.

Oh well I will be out regardless!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i want to be out after this storm! im thinking that they will be moving then, and the snow is great for picking them out, it hides your sound too!

·
Team Yukon
4,872 Posts
Remember last year, same couple days:yikes: of Muzzy......it was thigh high in some spot in the woods..

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
you guys are lucky to get all that snow. I just seen my first flakes two nights ago. We never get snow around the detroit area, with the last two years being an exception. I love the snow, let it come down.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
It will make for another interesting ML camp for me. Last year deer sightings were great, but almost all the bucks had dropped their antlers already! I hope that's not the case, as I don't really want to shoot a doe.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
In the NLP, where I am, we already have 2+ feet on the ground (all in the last week), and with this storm, they're calling for another foot. At this point, I would expect the deer to go into "winter survival" mode...start yarding up (if they're not already there, not sure how quickly they move to the yards...)

I imagine my high ground/hardwoods hunting spots will be close to useless by the weekend. That's ok, I'll still be hunting...

Good luck all and be safe, slippery roads almost got me and my hunting partner last year at this time!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'll be out this weekend. Looking like it will be fairly calm this weekend, storm should be all done by about Thursday night. Could make for some stellar muzzleloading in Central U.P., they were just starting to migrate last weekend, this should kick them into overdrive.

·
Registered
12,882 Posts
1-3 inches tonight and 1-3 inches tomorrow for mid michigan. WATCH OUT!!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts