Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the talk is true, Steelies are in there winter mode. There's still good number in all the rivers, its just they don't have the feed bags on all day and they spend most there days lurking near bottom of slower deeper holes. Smaller offerings and lighter lines are now needed for increased hook-ups. It seems fish will now bite in small spurts though-out the day, you need to nearly roll your bait or offering right in front of the nose.

Don't get me wrong, good reports and good number can still be expected, but it just won't be as common as it was back in November. Its been a really good fall and the winter should be decent also. I had the chance to take a couple rookies out Sunday, one guy was from California and never fished a Michigan river. After picking up his one day license we hit the river around 8:30am. I figured I had maybe 4-5 hours to fish, then these guys wnated to watch the ball games. After getting skunked in the first hole we hit a good wintering deeper inside bend. We each caught several trout including one 20+ incher for the western guy. We all had breif hook-ups with at least one steelhead, I got lucky and actually landed a nice buck with great color. All fish came on smaller bags, both steelhead and salmon eggs worked equal.
Chad with a great Brown,

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Great looking fish Dennis, looks like you guys had a good time :)

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
D,

Good see you got into a few. After passing you guys, Phlyphisher and I ended up hitting some slow water downstream (closer to the next launch) and did alright. We ended up popping 9 fish for the day, but really had to work for them. Did you end up moving up to that first spot where Joe and I were? I gotta think that spot had to have turned on at some point in the day, but it sure didn't give up the "usual" numbers in the a.m.!

Nice pics...especially that brown!

·
Premium Member
10,562 Posts
Thanks for the report Dennis. Way to go rookies! Beautiful pix too.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Great job. What do you charge for a half day trip??:D Riverman

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
riverman, a little food, maybe some help with the gas and few pops, flavor's may vary...:)

typically most off the time I'm all set, but every once in a while I may bum a bag or two also...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Beautiful pics MH!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
WOW !!!

Dennis,
That sounds like a reasonable fee. How does one book a trip ? Hey, I'll even cover all the gas.

How many "pops" and what flavor do I bring ? :eek:

Not sure what you mean by a bag or two though :confused:. If it's what the the kids in my old "high" school use to refer to......I'll have to pass :D :D :D.

Thanks,
Pat

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pat,

A bag...A two, three, or four egger, maybe even a gag bag (four plus eggs). Salmon, Steelhead, or even Brown spawn, I'm not picky when I'm Bumming !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts