Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there as been a lot of talk lately about kill plots vs. food plots I thought I'd post a few pics that show how deer benefit from food plots year round. The first pic shows how they have been digging up my purple top turnips. Unfortunately the ground is frozen so hard right now that they can't dig them out of the ground but as the second pic shows they are eating them off even with the ground. I am sure they will get them all eventually. :)

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Munsterlndr,

The actual winter months deer can benifit..but even that period of late fall and early spring is probably just as critical as mid winter and often a time when food plots are staying green and productive long after, or before there is food in the deer woods. Even though the deer leave around here for the deer yards for some length of time, those critical months surrounding their migration offers substantial health benifits to the local deer herd.

That's great the local deer can take advantage of your food plots during the winter, as the do the entire rest of the year!

Great photos! We had 2 full acres of 36" high brassicas on our WI property in Nov. In mid Dec. it was still mostly there and the deer were starting to eat in the field pretty hard...must have been several tons of food with most turnips grown in very odd shapes with as much volume as a melon! should be a great spot to find some sheds too...can't wait to look!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts