Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious how many, if any, leave their electronics on board over winter? VHF, plotter/sounder, stereo, etc. I have my stuff flush mounted now, making it tedious for removal. I don't have a security problem. The way I see it, automotive electronics are left in the cold without issue. The Marine stuff should fare better as it's not being turned on and off, causing extreme temp changes, but that's just an opinion. Obviously transducers don't get removed but seem to tolerate the cold just fine, being ceramic and urethayne. The only real concern that comes to mind, might be an issue with a touch screen. I was late getting my stuff out last year and they saw some very cold temps for a bit. Didn't seem to bother them at this point.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Mine are all flush mounted. I have never heard of a failure due to extreme temperatures. If that was the case, flush mounting wouldn’t even be an option in the northern states unless you had heated storage. I just put my covers on and put a towel over the dash over the winter storage period. My storage is indoor but not heated.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that just reinforces my thoughts, thanks.
Come to think of it, we use those same electronics for ice fishing. I guess a moot point after all.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I usually remove any electric items that can be removed but have left them in all winter with no ill effects! Boat stored outside under awning.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Cold is no issue. I remove mine for theft avoidance reasons because I store in an outdoor storage site. The electronics stay in the (unheated) garage, which at times reaches the same temperature as the outdoors.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I find the biggest issue with storage is corrosion of the pins in the connectors. I take them off the unit and apply dielectric grease to both sides. One time I left a unit on my boat and in the spring it wouldn't work.
I pulled the connector off and the pins and they were green with corrosion

1 - 7 of 7 Posts