Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 315 Posts

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My seed supplier told me the Winfred Brassica does well in sandy soil . Said if it has decent rainfall when it gets established, will do well once it has dry conditions . Anyone try it ? I planted purple top turnips, forage radishes and rape last August . Got 12 to 15 inches high and the deer had it about flattened by late October . I could not hunt in October ,as I wasl laid up after knee surgery. First week of November it was still drawing a few deer . Just looking for other options . Might plant a few strips of Winfred and still plant the others that I used last year . He said the Winfred can withstand the grazing and grow better than what I used . I am a curious person and like to try other options . Will still try it regardless .

· Registered
41,829 Posts
I’ve planted it on silty loam. It did well until the soil got saturated. I’ve found hybrids provide the most tonnage per acre. It’s worth the $1/# more for the price of seed.

· Registered
235 Posts
Late June, I had read they could be planted earlier than most other brassica's which is why I planted that early. I planted more on another property mixed with PTT and radish in late July that did just as well, on worse ground. I did give them plenty of urea. This year I will plant them with a mix of other brassica's in late July. The deer around me like brassicas and I prefer to have a bulb to keep them around later into the season.

· Registered
13,882 Posts
Anyone planting Winfred this year? I am going to order some today.

I know the title of this thread (link below) in the Habitat-Talk forum is "Spring planted winter rye" but there is a lot of info and photos on Winfred Forage Brassicas. I am impressed enough to want to plant some here next week. I like the fact that it can grow to heights of 4-5 feet, that it grows back after being browsed down and that the deer are even fond of the thick stems in winter. Sounds like it produces a lot of tonnage.

spring planted winter rye? (discussion on Winfred begins on page 3 - post #43)

2#/acre in a mix or 4-5#/acre as a stand alone.

Will let you know how well it does for us here at Lone Oak.

· Registered
13,882 Posts
I purchased some today and will try it out for the first time as well. I will be sowing into standing rye and will cultipack and spray the rye to terminate it. After approximately 12+ inches of rain in the past two weeks, my soil is finally moist! Thankfully I'm on sandy loam here in SW Michigan.
Great! Keep us posted on its progress NTCPA. We have had less than 2" of rain here in the last 4-5 weeks but it is raining at the moment so fingers crossed.

I will be broadcasting the Winfred and also some turnips and maybe a little radish into my sugar beets, which have really struggled during these drought conditions. They have perked up quite a bit with the little bit of rain we have had recently but they are still pretty thin (probably didn't help that I ran over some of them while spraying). Will have to keep the Winfred thin enough that it doesn't outcompete my sugar beets. Will spray the RR SB one more time prior to broadcasting the brassicas.

· Registered
1,561 Posts
If I'm understanding correctly, this particular brassica will regrow as it is browsed? This is my main reason for not going crazy with rape or kale or other brassicas that don't produce bulbs, because once the greens are gone they are gone. At least if you go heavy on the turnips you get a nice fat bulb to go with the greens. For small plots this is a major consideration.

· Registered
13,882 Posts
If I'm understanding correctly, this particular brassica will regrow as it is browsed? This is my main reason for not going crazy with rape or kale or other brassicas that don't produce bulbs, because once the greens are gone they are gone. At least if you go heavy on the turnips you get a nice fat bulb to go with the greens. For small plots this is a major consideration.
Yes - That is my understanding as well TTI88. It can be grazed by cattle up to 4 times per season.

OVERVIEW
Winfred forage brassica is hybrid cross between kale and turnip. With its particularly leafy growth, Winfred is highly digestible and has good palatability for grazing whitetail, cattle, and sheep. With its superior regrowth potential, Winfred can be grazed up to four times within a growing season. Additionally, it has great frost tolerance and is known to stay green and lush when temperatures reach as low as 10°F. Whether used alone or in a mixture, this variety is a solid performer and is widely adapted to a range of climates and soils.

1 - 20 of 315 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.