Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a winchester model 1300 12ga. I only use it for turkey and waterfoul. I only use it maybe 10 time a year. Its not a 31/2 and thats what I want because i am going to try to do more water foul hunting. They dont make this model any more so should i sell it or hold on to it and see if the value will increase. I mean they discontinued this model. I dont think the value would decrease. I plan on buying a three and a half. just woundering if any one had any sugestions on it if I should sell it or hold on to it for a while. any help is appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
fishhogster said:
I have a winchester model 1300 12ga. I only use it for turkey and waterfoul. I only use it maybe 10 time a year. Its not a 31/2 and thats what I want because i am going to try to do more water foul hunting. They dont make this model any more so should i sell it or hold on to it and see if the value will increase. I mean they discontinued this model. I dont think the value would decrease. I plan on buying a three and a half. just woundering if any one had any sugestions on it if I should sell it or hold on to it for a while. any help is appreciated thanks.
For what it is worth, ya don't need a three and a half for waterfowl and it is not really necessary for turkey either. If ya want one, go ahead and get one......I would not say it is necessary for either birds you want to hunt. Trust me, I have had them all and I even use to hunt with a browning bps 10 gauge out of a layout boat for divers!:SHOCKED:

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
I've killed many geese, ducks, and turkeys with 3" out of that same gun. Jay's has that same gun used selling for $225. I know, it was mine. I just got out of duck hunting so I traded it in. I got $165 on a trade. :sad: You may just want to hang on to it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know a 3'' will kill most waterfoul and what not but shells are cheaper for me. My brother and i can go in and buy a case of 31/2'' and split it. we know a guy that has a firearms licence and we get them at his cost and he can get discounts on certain shells and he can get me a great deal on a remington 870 sps super magnum camo. I think i am going to sell my winchester 12ga. I think i will try to sell it for ***** sounds reasonable dosnt it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I own the same gun and couldn't really ask for more. I used it for turkey hunting this past spring and it was throwing some great patterns with 3" shells. If you insist on having something with 3 1/2" I'd sell it. I'm not an expert but I doubt the 1300 will fall into a valuable catagory anytime soon.

vjs

·
Registered
726 Posts
3" will do basically anything a 3 1/2" will do. What it really comes down to is how well you can shoot. If you can't hit anything with 3" shells, 3 1/2" shells aren't going to change that. The only reason I got rid of my Browning BPS that shot 3" shells and bought my Winchester SX2 was because I wanted to step up to a semi-auto.

·
Registered
902 Posts
What they said, plus add the extra cost of the shells, plus the extra beating you and your shoulder will take, for me it just wasnt worth it. I have killed more than I cant count with my 3", but all that being said if "YOU" want the gun and can swing the $$$$ and it makes you happy, then by all means get it because in the end you are the only one you have to make happy.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I wouldn't hang on to it hoping for an increase in value. There are so many 1300's and its only just ended production, that i dont think they will go up in value for a very long time. But, I would hold on to it and use it for any Bird hunting you might do. I have never used a 3.5" and I never needed it. I use mostly 2.75" when i hunt. Only use 3" on occasion. I would keep it, the only suggestion i would make if you want something different, is to maybe try a semi-auto.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its does have the winchoke. I am going to buy a 31/2 but i will keep the winchester. i am going to buy a remington 870 express supermag waterfoulgun already priced it and know were i am going to buy itit will cost just under $500 its a pump i will never buy a semi-auto dead set agaist them me personaly cant stand them.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ive had a 1300 since 1993 and have shot the crap out of it. All types of shells form 3" mag steel to 7/8 trap loads. The gun has never malfunctioned and (kow) I haved put the hurt on many many birds. Right now its sitting with a 20" barrel getting ready to protect me in the Alaska bush. Very trustworthy friend. 3 1/2s are over rated except for the longest shots on Geese. If you can hit what youre aiming at a 3 inch will do it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Trust me, I don't know what you gave fior it but your better off keeping ahold of it. You can never have to many guns.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
i have a 1300, ducks unlimited model i've never bought a magnum load. it takes deer, goose, duck,turkey. for my money if it "ain't broke don't fix it"

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I had the 1300 Waterfowler. Nice Lam stock, 31" barrel, 3" mag, vent rib, sling swivels, and Win-choke. That gun was POS!

It would double rack live shells in back of spent ones in the chamber--a very dangerous activity. It was sent back to Winchester--twice!! They acknowledged the problem, but really never fixed it correctly. I sold it to a gusnsmith who thought he could fix it.

For my money, the versatilty of the Benneli Nova is unmatched. 3.5" if you need it, 3 chokes with 3 others available, slug barrel is available, smooth action, and the gun will shoot anything. You can pick up a new one for $269 if you look around. Trade in or sell the 1300 outright and you'll barely notice the impact on the wallet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts