Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my new pup this Sunday (GSP) and was wondering if anyone on this site uses Wilson Veternarian in Romeo. Good things? Bad things? Other recommendations? I am looking for a vet that is good with Bird dogs, thorough, Friendly, and has 24 hr emergency service. If anyone can give me advice or their experience with this vet it would be greatly appreciated. I live right in the Romeo area so in terms of convienence, this place would be perfect.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about Michael Schumacher in Romeo. I don't know the name of the clinic, though. He's supposed to be very bird dog friendly.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Tecumseh uses that office and has only good things to say about them.

Congrats on the pup, be sure to post a picture!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I have used them before and had no complaints. friendly staff, good service prices are average for the area plus they do 24/7 emergency work if called

·
Registered
311 Posts
I take all 3 of my dogs there,there are a couple of different docs that work out of there,i think they are all pretty good,but i think wilson does the important surgeries,real good guy.He estimated my labs surgery at 1,300 and billed me 850.He must have a photograhic memory or something,he seems to remember exactly all my dogs problems when i go in there,he is pretty thorough,also they are open some pretty late hours.I think he is a great vet,and have never heard anything bad about him.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've been there. There are a bunch of different docs in the office, but you can request one if you have one you like. I only found 1 I didn't care for. They are open 7 days and late. There is always someone there. They let me pick up my dog before normal hours after a surgery. The only complaint is you'll wait a long time if you have a late appt.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.. Looks like I will probably be making an appointment with Wilsons sometime next week. Just got in from shoveling a bunch of curshed concrete into the hole I dug eailer in the week. Building a nice concrete kennel for the new pup. Magnum kennel kit, the whole nine yards. Concrete should be poured early next week. Cant wait until it is done.. I have been humping 1 wheel barrel load of 22a crushed concrete at a time for what seems to be an eternity!! The heat is killing me:cool: . Should be nice when I am done though. I will be sure to send photos of the pup and the Kennel sometime soon.

Hey.. anyone have any advice for a first time bird dog owner? I am so excited I can hardly wait. Was originally supposed to be getting a pup from a different litter and different breeder. The original Breeder lost 5 puppies a few days after they were born. Very unfortunate, But, I guess things like that happen from time to time. The new breeder seems to be very good and I am happy with the lines. If anyone is interested here is the website. www.blackgsp.com I am getting a pup from the Arielle/Emanuel litter. Both DKs.

THanks for all the help. I am sure when the pup finnally does get here I will be asking tons of questions.

Cheers..
Jeff

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I have used them for a little over a year and I like them. They usually get me in the day I call and their regular office hours are until 8pm. After that time, they have emergency service and their emergency rates are reasonable. I have used about 4 different veterinarians at the Romeo office and they each seemed at least fairly knowledgable of hunting dogs and didn't try to upsell like so many other vets do.

The first time I went to that office I was sold. I called them at 5 pm and they got me in at 6 pm the same day. Tech had stitches in his foot from another vet and Wilson's Veterinary gave him a full checkup, removed the stitches, drained an abcess from an imbedded thorn and removed the remnants, gave me an extra week of antibiotics and only charged me $20. I asked why it was so cheap and he simply replied that he viewed it as a 1/2 visit and the meds were only $6. I was happy and have experienced similar visits to that one.

When I went in because Tech had lost so much weight, they ran full blood work and added a few extra profiles for free just to rule out certain things. The vet said that he personally wanted to rule everything out and that he would do the extra tests but I wouldn't be able to use the results for health certifications unless he charged for them. Anyways, I am happy with their services even though there are often waits to get in once you are there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts