Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
buddy called me and said there are high winds coming our way Sat afternoon. We were planning on our first Geno's trip Sat for the evening bite. Anyone seen the forecast? Think it will be a problem?... may need a better Shanty tie-down solution.

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Sorry to say but the winds might be a big problem tommorow.Southwest 15-30mph and posibly gusting to over 40mph.That doesnt sound to good for ice fishing on Lake St Clair.If anyone goes out stay close to shore if not you are going to be someone who has to be rescued.There are warnings out for tommorow.:(

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I'd wait until Sunday and Fish Selfridge or Fairhaven Sat. The Ice go's fast around crocker. Its part of the big lake. Will it be there Sunday? I know so but I wouldn't bet my life on it. .. If you do go out on a iffy day put a Life jacket in your sled . Not kidding. Its a good time of year to have one and you can wear the fishing type under your jacket or place the silly orange ones in a bag.

I'm not trying to spook anyone off the ice and Honestly I don't think It will blow out yet. But this is also some thing to remember or bring.

Place cell phone in bag (zip-lock) It Will dial and talk in water. wear or bring the spikes you wear around your neck. put a flashlight in your pocket. or better yet a strobe if you have one. If you owne a boat place the flares in your tackle box. A compas would not hurt in a Fog. Good fishing Last ice can be hot!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about the boat basin's at metro? I know there isnt worry there of ice out, just wondering if these winds will make it impossible to fish tomorrow.

Are there any other marina's that block wind in the shores area that would be decent and safe to fish tomorrow?? (with out having to worry about marina/ land owners bothering ya)

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
WHB I don't think you'll need them and I hope you don't need them, But it is time to think about that stuff and If you Do end up needing it you'll be alive to buy me a beer;) :D

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
I agree with you ED. this is the time to watch the wind and fish the donw wind end of the lake stay in the small bays and carry the proper safty gear. I think the ice will be good on the north end of the lake until march 10th or so. Watch this week end for some nuts to be out in their trucks and cars and stay away from them if you can. good fishing and a safe return to all.

·
Banned
1,819 Posts
I don't know about geno's but I fished Mitchell's St Lukes, and St Annes today, and it was terrrrrrribbbbbbble . Worst day I've ever had over there. I put about 40 miles on my sled out there today. I see the cracks have alot more openings now than they did a week ago, and a couple big open water areas around St Annes. I mean like small ,and really small lake size areas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts