Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hunting in wisconsin and jumped a nice buck on mon. Yesterday I was too focused on looking for the perfect strait tree and bumped him again there's no way to get between him and the corn field that he's eating at only 30 yds from where he's been bedding. Anyways I was disappointed to bump him the second time but I picked a tree and sat anyway. After about 2.5 hr in the stand herd some small game shooting and 15 min later looked like the same buck might have been a bigger one. But it whent right to the spot I was standing when I jumped the buck on the way in. Wish I sat up there. He was about 45yds from me and I could here the small game hunters working there way too me. Bye bye mr deer so the chase continues.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good news is you got some really good intel. Just finding their bed is a triumph in itself. Next time that happens set up right where you jumped him because 9 times out of 10 they will come back to that same bed one more time, which you experienced. You need to obviously play the wind.

The other good news is that even if he doesn't come back this season he or another buck will next. If its a good bedding area it will usually hold a mature buck they generally get the better areas.

You really need to check out The Hunting Beast here is the link. http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/ Its all about hunting bucks where they sleep. Just surf the forum you will learn a ton.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I killed the largest buck of my life last year that came back within a couple hours to the exact spot I jumped him from as I walked out of the woods after the morning hunt. To be fair, he ran across the road, the hot doe he was with made a circle and came back. I went to the house had lunch walked out and shot him in the exact spot. 162 8 point.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't do this, BUT I seen a Documentary type show on the designer of Lone Wolf stands and he uses this specific hunting style. He called it the bump and dump. He slowly walks through areas that are known bedding areas and hopes to slowly NUDGE bucks, (NOT bust a deer under his feet). When he bumps a worthy buck, he preps a tree right there and is back there EARLY the next morning waiting for the bucks return.
Seems to be working for him;)
I wouldn't do it on purpose on my own property, but state/public land maybe. Anyways, there is hope :)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
So I killed the largest buck of my life last year that came back within a couple hours to the exact spot I jumped him from as I walked out of the woods after the morning hunt. To be fair, he ran across the road, the hot doe he was with made a circle and came back. I went to the house had lunch walked out and shot him in the exact spot. 162 8 point.
Congrats, I would love to see a picture of that beast. 162" 8 point is impressive.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,385 Posts
Many times the buck will circle around to get downwind of what spooked him in order to check it out.

Based on that, one strategy after jumping a buck is to hightail it a ways downwind and lay in wait for him to circle back - right in front of you and upwind.

I think this may be one of (dare I type the name) Rompola's techniques.....:hide:

·
Administrator
17,520 Posts
here you go
OK! So we know old senile deer will come back to their beds after they are pushed; but what about smart studs at peak breeding maturity? :lol::lol:

<----<<<

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yes they will circle back often bc that bedding area worked. They slept and then were able to safely escape the danger. You would be surprised how quickly they come back sometimes. If you continue to jump him he will move on. As stated before, put that bedding area in your head bc odds are it will be taken over by another dominant buck if this one is shot or vacates it. There are people who will hunt dominant bucks in the same bed year after year.
I try all different things on state land mostly bc it is tough to just try the same thing others do and pray to be successful. One of those is tracking a buck. I have not killed any yet but it gives you more insight into what they do when jumped. They circle right back a lot. I followed one that went in circles like 3 times in 6 hrs.
that all being said I dont try these things on the farm as the deer are not as pressured and it is not necessary. Try to figure that spot out to hunt it without jumping the buck. But if you do jump him, set up on that spot and hunt.

Sent from my C771 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 20 of 21 Posts