Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of any wild rice beds around the Gun Lake area? Im working on a wild rice program to help the natural wild rice in the area. Were mostly looking on the kalamazoo river watershed and any inland lakes in the surrounding area.

Any help on some locations of past or present rice in the area would be a huge help.

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
Yeah gun lake other than that I'm no help but I think its west of the state park launch go to gander and look at a fishing hot spots map or Google a map of gun lake its on there some where. Maybe a dnr map I know I saw it marked some where

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yeah gun lake other than that I'm no help but I think its west of the state park launch go to gander and look at a fishing hot spots map or Google a map of gun lake its on there some where. Maybe a dnr map I know I saw it marked some where

Those rice bed are nolonger there. They where on the county park launch side strait north. I had a talk with a oldtimer about this. He told me that he had talk with the DNR about keeping up the rice beds and keeping the jetski out witch is what hurts it the most. The DNR told him it was a recreational lake not a duckhunting only lake. This was very sad to here. I hunted gun lake when their was rice and it was one the best places to hunt. I thank times mybe different now the DNR my love to revisit the rice beds. I think DU had alot to do with those rice beds.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Not unusual for the rice beds to have disappeared. Pretty similar to Houghton Lake, which had huge rice beds many years ago (I have a map from the 50's or 60's that still shows them).

And although I believe the original post was sincere, asking duck hunters to tell you where the rice beds are on area lakes is like asking a gold prospector where the untapped veins of gold are :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand spots are sensitive information but we are trying to help the rice beds thrive and supplement them to continue in the future. If anybody would like to private message me about any occurrences past or present i would keep it strictly confidential.

And as far as the rice beds on gun lake (or anywhere for that matter) the seeds can still be in the sediment of the lake or river and be dormant until conditions are right. So even though the rice beds are not active currently it does not mean that they are not there. We are trying to find past rice bed occurrences and take sediment samples to see what the state of the beds are.

It was found in Saginaw bay that some rice beds havent been seen for over 20 years and now that the water level has gone down the rice has popped up so thick that you cannot push a canoe through it.

I am open to private messages or i can give you my email or phone number. ANy information, no matter how little can help out a lot.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Seems as if a couple years ago I recall someone else posting here about a statewide study on rice beds and asking us for historical information. Is your current effort related to that? Because a lot of us provided feedback on waterways that we knew had rice in years past. You can search this forum for the past posts too. ;)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, i appreciate it. I actually am working with Barb on the project. I am concentrating on SouthWest Michigan so I am trying to gather some more information down that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts