Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have run a wild game dinner at the Fr. Patrick O'Kelley Knights of Columbus in Dearborn for about 6 years. I get to meet a lot of Michigan-Sportsman members at the dinner. We've always had the dinner in our lounge in the afternoon, where anyone can come in and eat during an open window.

Well, we outgrew the lounge last year and will be having the dinner in our hall on Saturday February 8, 2014. We can sit well over 200 in the hall so that should stop the overflow condition we had last year.

I always ran the dinner in the afternoon so that families and children can come. I figure one way to introduce children to hunting is to make them enjoy the fruits of the harvest.

Since we are going to be in the hall, I can have the dinner anytime I want. Now for my questions, and I'd really appreciate your input :

1) Should the dinner be in the afternoon or evening?

2) Should we allow eating during an open window where you can eat anytime you show up in a 2-3 hour window as in the past or have a single seating where everyone eats at once?

3) This one is a very sensitive question - we have always held the cost down to a minimum because the game we serve is donated and I truly appreciate all of the donations. The last few years it has been an all you can eat buffet with at least 10 entrees plus appetizers and side dishes for $10. We've had a lot of feedback last year that people would like desserts as well. Do you think $15/adults $5/children under 13 would be too much for an all you can eat wild game buffet with appetizers, soup, about 10 entrees (depends on what is donated) and dessert?

I appreciate any and all opinions.

Thank you,

Mike (Papa) Greco
www.papagrecos.com

·
Registered
148 Posts
15$ all u can eat where do i get tickets and when is the dinner

i'll be making every effort to be there!

can we get tix in advance, or at the door the day of?

oh and by the way..... if its a "dinner", it is served in the evening at 'dinner time', ( ie 5-7 pm.)

is there anything else going on before / after dinner? ie... raffles, auctions..?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Just saw this bumped up to the top, my 2cents is that

1. Have the dinner start at 4:00 til.... Let it be open seating, having a one time serving might be hard on your workers.

2. The dollar question is a big one, is 15 fair? yep! Is it a big jump in price? Yep! Might get some people to balk at it. Might want to bump it up 3 dollars this year and 2 next.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
We run one every January at our Church. Ours is done a little differently from this one though.

First we do tickets ahead of time. We limit the tickets to 180 people, BUT we really only use the tickets to gauge how much food we will actually need. The day before the dinner, we figure out how many tickets went out and then prepare enough food for about 50 more. We don't turn anybody away the day of, UNLESS we are going to exceed our occupancy limit for the Fellowship Hall.

As far as price, WE DON'T CHARGE! Seriously, there is WAY too much liability involved with "wild game" in our opinion. We just put a donation box out and leave it at that. We normally have about $500 into putting on the event, and normally end up with a profit over $1500 which goes directly to "Camp Scholarships". Our Men's Group prides ourselves on being able to pay for anybody that wants to attend Summer Camp. The Wild Game Dinner is one of our best fundraisers. It is much more work than our monthly Pancake Suppers, but it has become a really fun time for all.

Oh, we serve dinner at 6:30 PM on a Saturday. We serve everyone at once, buffet style. It is actually MUCH easier to serve hot food like this than to have an "open" period of a few hours and try to gauge how much food needs to be ready when. We have all day Saturday to get the food on the table by 6:30, and then we are able to take turns eating with our families because it only take minimal people to run things once the food is put out.

Just in case, we keep about 40 venison burgers ready to be put on the grill at any time if the people eat more than we expect. In 10 minutes we can have them off the grill and ready to eat, and if we don't need them they can be frozen and cooked later.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i'll be making every effort to be there!

can we get tix in advance, or at the door the day of?

oh and by the way..... if its a "dinner", it is served in the evening at 'dinner time', ( ie 5-7 pm.)

is there anything else going on before / after dinner? ie... raffles, auctions..?

soooo. what the latest information? i'm still interested and i'm sure I know of a few other that would like to go.

More info please!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to apologize to everyone. My job responsibilities have changed recently and I won't have the time to do a proper wild game dinner - like everyone has come to expect from my K of C council so we won't be having one this year and I won't throw something together just to have one.

I am retiring this year so next year I'll have all of the time that I need to do a BANG UP job. I promise it will be better than it has ever been.

Thanks and I'll keep everyone informed as soon as things get rolling. It will probably be the Saturday after the Superbowl 2015 though.

Thanks again,

Mike (Papa) Greco
www.papagrecos.com

soooo. what the latest information? i'm still interested and i'm sure I know of a few other that would like to go.

More info please!

·
Registered
148 Posts
first... congrats on your retirement!

As I usually go to 4-5 dinners per year, I'm sorry to hear your dinner won't take place this year. i'm looking forward to next years!

That said, anyone know of, or are going to other sportsmen/wildgame dinners in the metro Detroit area?

I'm planning on going to the dinner/auction at Laurel Park Place in Plymouth on Jan 24. http://www.cdsfoundation.net/

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
first... congrats on your retirement!

As I usually go to 4-5 dinners per year, I'm sorry to hear your dinner won't take place this year. i'm looking forward to next years!

That said, anyone know of, or are going to other sportsmen/wildgame dinners in the metro Detroit area?

I'm planning on going to the dinner/auction at Laurel Park Place in Plymouth on Jan 24. http://www.cdsfoundation.net/

I'm also interested in finding some other wild game dinners. If anyone hears of anything, let me know! Though I can't afford the ones that are $50 or so.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We run one every January at our Church. Ours is done a little differently from this one though.

First we do tickets ahead of time. We limit the tickets to 180 people, BUT we really only use the tickets to gauge how much food we will actually need. The day before the dinner, we figure out how many tickets went out and then prepare enough food for about 50 more. We don't turn anybody away the day of, UNLESS we are going to exceed our occupancy limit for the Fellowship Hall.

As far as price, WE DON'T CHARGE! Seriously, there is WAY too much liability involved with "wild game" in our opinion. We just put a donation box out and leave it at that. We normally have about $500 into putting on the event, and normally end up with a profit over $1500 which goes directly to "Camp Scholarships". Our Men's Group prides ourselves on being able to pay for anybody that wants to attend Summer Camp. The Wild Game Dinner is one of our best fundraisers. It is much more work than our monthly Pancake Suppers, but it has become a really fun time for all.

Oh, we serve dinner at 6:30 PM on a Saturday. We serve everyone at once, buffet style. It is actually MUCH easier to serve hot food like this than to have an "open" period of a few hours and try to gauge how much food needs to be ready when. We have all day Saturday to get the food on the table by 6:30, and then we are able to take turns eating with our families because it only take minimal people to run things once the food is put out.

Just in case, we keep about 40 venison burgers ready to be put on the grill at any time if the people eat more than we expect. In 10 minutes we can have them off the grill and ready to eat, and if we don't need them they can be frozen and cooked later.

One of the guys on my committee is an attorney. He said the main thing you need to do to protect yourself is to post a sign in plain sight that says WILD GAME BEING SERVED THAT HASN'T BEEN INSPECTED, or something along those lines. If you notify people that the game you are serving is truly wild and hasn't been inspected, you shouldn't have a problem. The only thing I worry about is someone biting into some shot and breaking a tooth. Hasn't happened yet though!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The plans have been finalized for our 2015 Wild Game Dinner at the Fr. Patrick O'Kelley Knights of Columbus in Dearborn near Outer Drive and Michigan Ave.

It will be on Saturday 02/28/2015 and be served as an all you can eat buffet with a single seating at 2:00pm. I figured that would be early enough that if people come in from out of town they can get started back during daylight.

The cost will be $15/person over 12, $5/person from 5-12, and anyone under 5 eats free.

This is a good family type event, feel free to bring anyone of any age.

I will be posting more information as it becomes available.

If anyone would like to donate game, you get into the dinner for free. Please let me know to arrange when I can come to pick it up. I can pick up most anywhere south of a line across the state from Flint or so.

This has traditionally sold out. I'll have tickets available in about a week.

Thanks,

Mike

I have run a wild game dinner at the Fr. Patrick O'Kelley Knights of Columbus in Dearborn for about 6 years. I get to meet a lot of Michigan-Sportsman members at the dinner. We've always had the dinner in our lounge in the afternoon, where anyone can come in and eat during an open window.

Well, we outgrew the lounge last year and will be having the dinner in our hall on Saturday February 8, 2014. We can sit well over 200 in the hall so that should stop the overflow condition we had last year.

I always ran the dinner in the afternoon so that families and children can come. I figure one way to introduce children to hunting is to make them enjoy the fruits of the harvest.

Since we are going to be in the hall, I can have the dinner anytime I want. Now for my questions, and I'd really appreciate your input :

1) Should the dinner be in the afternoon or evening?

2) Should we allow eating during an open window where you can eat anytime you show up in a 2-3 hour window as in the past or have a single seating where everyone eats at once?

3) This one is a very sensitive question - we have always held the cost down to a minimum because the game we serve is donated and I truly appreciate all of the donations. The last few years it has been an all you can eat buffet with at least 10 entrees plus appetizers and side dishes for $10. We've had a lot of feedback last year that people would like desserts as well. Do you think $15/adults $5/children under 13 would be too much for an all you can eat wild game buffet with appetizers, soup, about 10 entrees (depends on what is donated) and dessert?

I appreciate any and all opinions.

Thank you,

Mike (Papa) Greco
www.papagrecos.com

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad to hear its back on after a one year hiatus!!
Dan
It will be good to see you again Dan!

I have a real good thing going this year. A new man joined our Knights council and he offered to help in the kitchen. He used to be a chef at the Hyatt Regency Dearborn - he specialized in duck.

If I didn't have so much fun in the kitchen and getting to talk to all of the sportsman, I might just be a customer and enjoy eating all of the food!

Hope to see you in February,

Mike (Papa) Greco
www.papagrecos.com

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am posting the tentative menu for the O'Kelley Council Knights of Columbus wild game dinner in Dearborn on Saturday February 28, 2015 with a single seating at 2:00pm.

I haven't been posting much because we sold out the lounge. However, now we are able to use the small hall for additional seating! If you are interested in coming to the dinner, please let me know.

Mike (Papa) Greco
www.papagrecos.com

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am posting the tentative menu for the O'Kelley Council Knights of Columbus wild game dinner in Dearborn on Saturday February 28, 2015 with a single seating at 2:00pm.

I haven't been posting much because we sold out the lounge. However, now we are able to use the small hall for additional seating! If you are interested in coming to the dinner, please let me know.

Mike (Papa) Greco
www.papagrecos.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts