Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever come across a wild cactus in Michigan. Today while out looking for Asparagus I came across some cactus growing. I'm not sure if it was planted there but it is growing and spreading in this area.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
yep, found a bunch in Allegan state game area a few weekends ago.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yeah thats prickley pear cactus. Seen it in many places. Don't know how it survives the witer but ut does.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
M1Garand said:
It's the Eastern Prickly Pear and surprisingly they are native to some areas of MI.
I believe the only native cactus to Michigan is found in the Western U.P. on rock cliffs etc.

Most other fauna that resembles cacti are euphorbs which exhibit the same survival strategies as cacti.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Howdy-

I've got some in front of the pole barn....

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
FieldWalker said:
I believe the only native cactus to Michigan is found in the Western U.P. on rock cliffs etc.

Most other fauna that resembles cacti are euphorbs which exhibit the same survival strategies as cacti.
It's actually listed on the DNR site under wildflowers since it is a flowering plant.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12146_12213-36270--,00.html

It's also listed in Michigan Flora by Edward Voss as a native plant. I'd have never thought it either but apparently it is.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked it up on the DNR site and it is suppost to be common in Michigan but with all the time I spend in outdoors this was the first time I have ever come across it.

I will definitely look where I'm sitting the next time out Turkey hunting.

·
Super Moderator
27,446 Posts
I got some in a planter here at home. Dad's got some on an island in the driveway. Grandmother used to have some too. Yellow flowers last for one day each.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I know a nice plot of it growing in a grass field on state land near Baldwin. Found it nearly 25 years ago. Its still going strong each year.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
FieldWalker said:
Yep, had the three books of Voss for a Field Botony course. Good old Eddy.
Maybe you had the same botany course I did, that's why I had them :lol: For what they were buying back books for and reselling them, I said to heck with it and kept most of the biology books. I reference them quite a bit and am glad I did.

FieldWalker said:
Don't quote me... but I believe Vermont is the only state without a native cacti.
You could be right, I think it's one of those three states up there; Vermont, NH or Maine. I don't know which though.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
swampbuck said:
I have some by my waterfall. There are actually 3 variaties in mich.
After doing some real hard research (google)- I found the answers of 1, 2, and 3.

Edward Voss is the Great Lakes fauna expert and he says one native... What you definition of native is entirely up to you... Coyotes aren't native to Michigan either... I'll shut up now.

·
Super Moderator
37,859 Posts
Most other fauna that resembles cacti
Gee, I thought any fauna that resembled cacti would be some creature out of a grade B horror flick. ;) :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts