Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just received her CPL now it's decision time. Due to a medical condition she cannot use a semi and must get a revolver. We are looking at the Ruger lcr-ct and the S&W Bodyguard. We plan to visit a range soon to let her try them both.

Recoil will be a problem due to lack of muscle strength.

Can the trigger pull be reduced on both of these guns?

Any suggestions on other firearms ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
On a S&W J frame you will be challenged to get the DA pull below 8 lbs; J frames use a coil mainspring and are not as smooth as the larger leaf spring K/L guns. [Is the Bodyguard a conventional J frame design ??]

Cannot speak to the Ruger LCR.

I can only speculate as to the medical condition in question but am going to guess that it has to due with the ability to rack the slide on a semiauto?

Of course this is important for clearing a jam but if only for 'safe-ing' you could always consider an auto with mag safety that cannot be fired if the mag is removed. Combined with a conventional trigger lock this could give you an option.

Best bet is to find a range that rents guns for her to try - DA revolver shooting is not all that easy at even shorter ranges.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
J-frames even with basic 38's should be left to experienced shooters with some strength in their wrists. She should be looking at something heavier that can be modified. Magnaport did an excellent job modifying a s&w k-frame for my dad. Even shooting it double action it's a treat. Although it's not ideal, she could look into a .22 revolver as well.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I work in a large gunshop and you'd be surprised at the women that can rack a slide once they're shown the proper technique. Their husbands act like they're delicate, weak creatures but they aren't.
That being said, some women are just better off with pepper spray.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I work in a large gunshop and you'd be surprised at the women that can rack a slide once they're shown the proper technique. Their husbands act like they're delicate, weak creatures but they aren't.
That being said, some women are just better off with pepper spray.
FYI she can rack a semi now. It's down the road she is concerned about due to a medical situation that is getting worse. My question is about getting the trigger pull reduced on these two firearms.

Thanks to all that have answered my questions. Your input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does she know the "sling shot" method or does she use the correct full palm grip? Because she doesn't have to pull it back, she can hold it and push the gun forward using her whole arm strength. Just a thought.

M&P Shield 9mm "Shield Yourself"

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am a lover of Wheel guns. They are an excellent choice for concealed carry for those with disabilities and even for us that are getting older and not quite so nimble but everyone has their opinions and their preferences. I am reading some excellent choices above in .22 Mag. A gun is no good to you if you can't control the recoil or have a hard time loading or unloading. A hammerless is a good choice for safe carry.

I would caution people not to have their triggers doctored on their concealed carry guns without first contacting the experts. I recently read a self defense article that was more like a horror story about "customized" triggers. I would rather pay an extra couple hundred bucks for a top of the line gun with a smooth out of the box trigger. Same goes for ammunition. Handmade reloads in a CCW are a ticket to trouble. Not worth the potential grief it could entail.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just saw on "Sons of Guns" they hooked up a glock with a AR type of charging handle. Like the t was on the back of the slide. This may be an option.

though probably wouldn't work too well for conceal.

·
Super Moderator
37,725 Posts
Wife has been having some issues with her hands lately. She doesn't like wheel guns anymore, the love affair is officially over. I told her if she wants a semi, she has got to be able to rack it effortlessly. She gave her heart to a Sig the other day. The easiest, smoothest racking gun I have ever seen. One hell of a sweet shooter too.
I think it's really a knockoff of the Colt Mustang, but hundreds less and still excellent quality.
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p238-extreme.aspx

I still don't really like .380, but the best gun for her is the one she will carry EVERY TIME she leaves the house. Besides , while we were at Williams I got her this 'steppin out gun the .380 can back up........If she can find where I put it last........:D:lol:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=155

·
Super Moderator
37,725 Posts
FYI she can rack a semi now. It's down the road she is concerned about due to a medical situation that is getting worse. My question is about getting the trigger pull reduced on these two firearms.

Thanks to all that have answered my questions. Your input is greatly appreciated.
BTW, the Sig 238 is single action, smooth, short and crisp trigger.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BTW, the Sig 238 is single action, smooth, short and crisp trigger.

I'm getting the sig 238 equinox for me. ( or the 938) She can shoot the 238 then. The Ruger lcr with laser or the s &w 642 with laser will be tried out next week. I still want to see the 22 mag just in case the others don't work out for her.
Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts