Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for advice.

I typically hunt fence rows, edges, and pinch points in the ghillie or brushed in real well. Occasionally I'll throw out a pop-up.

But - I want to get a little more diverse and maybe more bold? A couple deer I'd like a crack at are cutting open fields and heading toward standing corn.

I've looked at the predator/ghost blind and even sat behind one - and frankly, not sure I'm a believer, at least for mature bucks (or bucks for that matter).

The ghillie in a turkey chair with an xbow may draw unwanted suspicion considering it's "new" but I haven't ruled that out yet.

I've also thought of purchasing a bunch of corn stalks and staking those down with conduit and using it for a screen...

Any suggestions? Besides the Wile 'E' Coyote trick with a "bush" staked into the ground, I'm out of ideas.

Reactions: Eyecon

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Oftentimes when you're first learning a property it's difficult to discern any movement pattern. For instance, movement across an open field will appear to be random (and no doubt some of their movement is in fact random). But if you study it out you'll sometimes be able to distinguish tendencies they have to use certain portions of the field more than others when crossing it. If you're able to identify those locations, that could tighten your odds of being in a more productive place.

In terms of what to use in the field, in my opinion your best possibility would be a piece of farm equipment, specifically a hay wagon or gravity wagon. In that scenario I'd lay on my belly on a couple of blankets under the wagon. Or more accurately, back in my younger days I would have done something like that.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oftentimes when you're first learning a property it's difficult to discern any movement pattern. For instance, movement across an open field will appear to be random (and no doubt some of their movement is in fact random). But if you study it out you'll sometimes be able to distinguish tendencies they have to use certain portions of the field more than others when crossing it. If you're able to identify those locations, that could tighten your odds of being in a more productive place.

In terms of what to use in the field, in my opinion your best possibility would be a piece of farm equipment, specifically a hay wagon or gravity wagon. In that scenario I'd lay on my belly on a couple of blankets under the wagon. Or more accurately, back in my younger days I would have done something like that.
I've more or less have one field figured out as far as the trail they tend toward. Dilemma is, locations available to 'sit the ground' are either "contested boundaries" or out of range.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe something like this...

straw-pale-photo-2_1024x1024.jpg

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Secret weapon - Suppressed Rifle and then stick an arrow thru the bullet hole......

On a serious note, we had a field we gun hunted and dug a pit to sit in with burlap over top covering the back and sides. We killed a lot of deer from that spot.
That is what I was thinking. Your head moving around would look like a Woodchuck, or you could wear a Rabbit mask!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is what I was thinking. Your head moving around would look like a Woodchuck, or you could wear a Rabbit mask!
Well. I don't move my head much. And have a ghillie mask. I've learned to sit pretty still ground hunting. Digging a hole is not an option...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Goose layout blind then? When they are close pop up fast blowing your deer call as hard as you can try to 360 No Scope them. Shock and Awe
Definitely on the top of the list...for aw, the heck with it hunts...

Reactions: Waif

·
Registered
18,260 Posts
How about a two sided/triangle of astro turf screen/walls on three or more stakes to sit behind? (You did not indicate green field ,or brown stubble ect..)
Blend walls to match field debris ,or color,or composition the way you would blend or choose a ghillie.

Burlap camo stinks. Not sure how well it works.
I've used the die cut synthetic fabric to good advantage when the background complemented it.

Not sure if a irregular top lined wall erected to sit in front of would be better for you than sitting behind a screen.
It might be though. Gotta blend with it's background most of all.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about a two sided/triangle of astro turf screen/walls on three or more stakes to sit behind? (You did not indicate green field ,or brown stubble ect..)
Blend walls to match field debris ,or color,or composition the way you would blend or choose a ghillie.

Burlap camo stinks. Not sure how well it works.
I've used the die cut synthetic fabric to good advantage when the background complemented it.

Not sure if a irregular top lined wall erected to sit in front of would be better for you than sitting behind a screen.
It might be though. Gotta blend with it's background most of all.
Thanks for taking it serious Waif. :D

The field is cut soy. I will have a roadway to my West/Back. To the North, standing corn on inaccessible property/private. To the East/Front of my anticipated set, woods/bedding where they enter the field and head to the north/corn. To the South is a green overgrown fence row where I can usually sit, but out of range.

·
Registered
18,260 Posts
Thanks for taking it serious Waif. :D

The field is cut soy. I will have a roadway to my West/Back. To the North, standing corn on inaccessible property/private. To the East/Front of my anticipated set, woods/bedding where they enter the field and head to the north/corn. To the South is a green overgrown fence row where I can usually sit, but out of range.
With the right background, you'll blend.
Breaking your three D effect by sitting in front of a "screen" you create is worth trying.
IF deer are viewing from the front more than the side.

It's not practical to create multiple such screens to place nearby. But leaving them (secure so wind can not flap or move them) would condition deer to them. Similar to random round haybales in a field.
They are things in the field ,vs human profiles , movement,scent..

Stronger fence wire than chicken wire could with patience be ghillied and rolled for transport.
Seems someone tarped some bent cattle panel wire sections ,sprayed it with glue and then tossed debris on it for a fake bale blind. Wind would topple a short wall of wire though...(?)

Fred Bear and an accomplice when hunting polar bear needed seals for bait/drag scent.
They rigged a sled with a plywood (white) shield in front with a peekhole in it.
Slowly pushing it towards seals only when they had their heads down (the seals) they could close the distance.
Kinda like some antelope decoys for archery hunting.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hay bale blind. Several DIY options for those blinds.
Permanent blinds are not an option. Also being easily seen and close to a road something easily stolen also not a good option.

Thinking more run n gun guerilla tactics here I guess.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
During late season on my grandparents old farm between 50-100 deer would pile out nightly. After a few getting blasted one year they started entering away from the blind. To solve this issue my buddy took a layout blind and laid on his belly where he could see out the top end. He shot a doe at 15 yds.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
During late season on my grandparents old farm between 50-100 deer would pile out nightly. After a few getting blasted one year they started entering away from the blind. To solve this issue my buddy took a layout blind and laid on his belly where he could see out the top end. He shot a doe at 15 yds.
What weapon? Firearm or Xbow?

I could definitely see me falling asleep this way lol.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you thought maybe a decoy, on the wood line where you sit to draw them towards you?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I've thought of it. A decoy is another 100.00 bux toward hunting I'm not eager to spend. I'm already high maintenance with all the gear I stow at camp lol.

Reactions: TrailMarker
1 - 20 of 31 Posts