Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Remember, fox are not coyote! These are two males, one older with yoy male traveling together. I missed them two weeks prior but caught them on the return.

· Registered
253 Posts
From my experience, the number of traps I set is directly related to the number of coyote I have traveling through the set location. I lone coyote gets 1 trap, 2 or more coyote the location will get 2 traps. I have never in a million years needed to set 13 traps to catch 13 coyotes At one location! LOL, as many of you have seen Bob Wendt’s 13 coyote catch at one location photo.

It’s all about the number of coyote at the set location. There is a big difference between a single coyote on the hump and an unbroken family or in a area of very high population (as in Wendt’s local). If you’ve got one coyote to deal with, why set more than one trap? If you have a pair or a family, set more than one trap. The pair you see in my video is the exception not the norm.

Also, it has been my experience that there is another factor when it comes to following the old advice of “if you set one, set two”, where would you set the 2nd?? Knowing that coyotes are pretty high-strung, when one of a pair is caught the other coyote throws a fit! Do you think the uncaught coyote is looking for a dirt hole to investigate while it’s traveling companion struggles and gets vocal in a trap a few feet away??? Not coyotes, fox maybe but not coyotes! This scenario I find only happens with a family of pups still together since I have never had a real high population of competitive coyotes in my area. Lots of forum talkers do but I never have!

Know the inherent tendencies of your target animal in YOUR area and proceed but I strongly suggest not taking for granted that coyotes in Kansas act exactly like coyotes in Michigan!

Before I leave this subject I’d like to also mention a very similar scenario where mink trappers will advise making 6-7-8 sets per location to catch a mink whereas if they knew and understood the inherent tendencies of a mink, 1-2 would suffice!

· Registered
253 Posts
Can’t believe the coyote didn’t kill the fox. Caught a red fox and a coyote in a 2 trap set one time, but the coyote tore the fox up before getting caught unfortunately.
Absolutely! I have never had a fox in a trap that a coyote was aware of not be scattered over several 100 sq feet! Never!

· Registered
11,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From my experience, the number of traps I set is directly related to the number of coyote I have traveling through the set location. I lone coyote gets 1 trap, 2 or more coyote the location will get 2 traps. I have never in a million years needed to set 13 traps to catch 13 coyotes At one location! LOL, as many of you have seen Bob Wendt’s 13 coyote catch at one location photo.

It’s all about the number of coyote at the set location. There is a big difference between a single coyote on the hump and an unbroken family or in a area of very high population (as in Wendt’s local). If you’ve got one coyote to deal with, why set more than one trap? If you have a pair or a family, set more than one trap. The pair you see in my video is the exception not the norm.

Also, it has been my experience that there is another factor when it comes to following the old advice of “if you set one, set two”, where would you set the 2nd?? Knowing that coyotes are pretty high-strung, when one of a pair is caught the other coyote throws a fit! Do you think the uncaught coyote is looking for a dirt hole to investigate while it’s traveling companion struggles and gets vocal in a trap a few feet away??? Not coyotes, fox maybe but not coyotes! This scenario I find only happens with a family of pups still together since I have never had a real high population of competitive coyotes in my area. Lots of forum talkers do but I never have!

Know the inherent tendencies of your target animal in YOUR area and proceed but I strongly suggest not taking for granted that coyotes in Kansas act exactly like coyotes in Michigan!

Before I leave this subject I’d like to also mention a very similar scenario where mink trappers will advise making 6-7-8 sets per location to catch a mink whereas if they knew and understood the inherent tendencies of a mink, 1-2 would suffice!

I was specifically targeting fox.

And I would place the 2nd trap outside any possible catch circle obviously, but the 2 best options would be either just outside the circle to get highly interested 2nd's, or 20+ yards away to get something which has either circled far out, or investigated and left, hopefully piquing it's interest again.

· Registered
132 Posts
I'm of the "if it's good enough to set one, set two" type and often times a third in higher travelled locations. One baited set, one urine post set, and a blind set if I can locate a natural funnel point that tightens in travel options with spacing of the sets typically 20' to 40' apart. Hook up with one and the "calling" of the caught critter is about as good of an attractor as it gets to draw in additional targets.

· Premium Member
758 Posts
I normally set 2 at each location, just in case I catch a non-target in one. For mink I set a trap on each side of the bridge embankment or tube. if there travelling, I'll catch them with those 2 traps. I can't remember a time I've set more than 2 traps at any location.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts