Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Rogers City last weekend and there were hardly any boats in the marina. Is this because of the high price of fuel, or has the salmon fishing in that area gotten bad? I use to do an annual salmon fishing trip to Roger's City back in the early 90's and that marina was allways packed. There was usually a waiting line to be able to launch your boat. Just seemed weird that it was so slow. I know fuel prices have really hurt the fishing, but never thought that would stop bascially everyone hitting the fishing peak. Or has the DNR stopped or reduced their stocking of salmon in the Roger's City area rivers? Any input would greatly appreicated. Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ron I was up that way last year on a charter at Presque Isle and let me tell you the fishing sucked and the marina was only half full. That was the end of July I was up. We chartered 2 boats and Basically it was a wasted trip. Just say the word man and you and M can go with me. Nobody ever seems to want to get off their butts and hit the road.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My son made the comment Saturday evening when we pulled in to launch "There are more seagulls in the parking lot then their are trucks and trailers."
That being said, I found fish in RC every trip we made during the weekend. In the past two years I had not caught a salmon, but this time we made 7 trips and caught 14 fish. Had 11 Kings, 2 steelhead and 2 throwback lakers. Lost three 12 pound+ fish in the back of the boat due to poor netting on the part of my kids, or hooks just pulling free. I don't know about anyone else, but 2 fish per trip for Lake Huron seems pretty decent to me. Its not Ludington or Manistee numbers, but not once did I need to worry about someone running over my cores. There is no traffic at the boat launch and the scenery in the area is second to none.
The fish we caught were primarily Jplugs on 5-color Cores and off the riggers with long leads. Nothing big--all were under 10#, but its good to catch fish on the Huron side again

John & The Boys
Nordic Star

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't know were you guys were fishing this weekend out of RC but there are salmon there along with tons of schools of smelt.. It is Sept. maybe you guys were in to deep of water... The salmon are in 20-35 deep of water right now staging up to make there run into the rivers. The salmon are already in the Thunder Bay river just because its 80°+ degrees out doesn't mean the salmon are in 150 fow.... I don't know but we seem to do fairly well this time of year.....

"Disorderly Conduct"

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Actually the fishing has been pretty good in both Presque Isle and Rogers City this summer. While the sizes aren't there like on lake michigan, I still caught salmon on almost every trip. My brother and I even pulled a two man limit once this year. Believe it or not, our catch ratio was higher on Lake Huron then it was on Lake Michigan this year, but of course, that figures in trout (steelhead, lakers). I love fishing Huron, less boat traffic and easy in and outs at the harbors along with beautfiul shorelines. It is sad to see empty ports, but the economy is as much to blame as the decline in salmon. Lets hope both rebound sooner or later. I fished Presque Isle saturday, and the fishing was slow, even for Huron. Only pulled one salmon, a 5lb coho off a rigger on a glow ghost j-plug 35 down over 90 FOW. Ther were about 25-30 boats out there, which was higher then normal, but still low in comparison to Lake Michigan.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i think everyone was in manistee. I fished there this weekend parking lot was packed and a ton of boats on the shelf. lead core and copper were not possible. Fishing was fair went 15 for 26.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts