Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always looked forward to Dec. 1 to run dogs. Who decided this?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Before Covid hit it was decided to do this because, not enough deer were being taken in the lower part of the state. However, I think we are going to see record numbers of hunters over the next 4 days during the thanksgiving break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But I believe this new season timing includes the U.P. which seems to always have a smaller deer herd. ?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
The NRC did because people aren't killing enough deer! The deer heard is to big overall and with the number of hunters and kill% the heard has been increasing they want it to go down.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It always felt really odd as a kid switching from a rifle to a bow on December 1st. I knew my chances were greatly limited from all the pressure on the herd during rifle season. From seeing deer almost daily up until November 14, to a frozen, polar landscape come December 1st with deer being nocturnal.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe i'm behind the times because i dont deer hunt any more. I thought this was a 2020 thing where rifle extended past Nov. 30 and muzzleloader was any firearm. I was surprised when i saw this.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess it all.depends on what part of the state u are hunting. Zone 3 I believe is the only one able to use all weapons. Still muzzleloader only in the other zones of northern lower and U.P.
Oh, ok. I didnt get that. Makes more sense.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always sat my hounds between 11/15 and 11/30 for the sportsman who hunt deer. I dont have hounds anymore (or at this time), but if I did I'd be running them on 12/1.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Was 14 now 9 days

Reactions: sgc

·
Registered
818 Posts
You can thank the car insurance companys for this, they are putting pressure on to reduce the herd so they dont have to pay out as many claims.

·
Registered
742 Posts
It has been shortened on private land only in zone 3. Zone 3 public land muzzleloader season runs from now until January 1st. Not a big fan of that rule change personally.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I think it is a real kick in the shorts to M L hunters, to make this a free for all season.. in Pennsylvania they have a flintlock only season. M L should have not been changed
here we go again.....just how did the change actually affect you? Is there a hidden rule saying "YOU" now can not use a flintlock or sidelock caplock for muzzleloading?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
here we go again.....just how did the change actually affect you? Is there a hidden rule saying "YOU" now can not use a flintlock or sidelock caplock for muzzleloading?
i personally think it affects me by hearing enough gun shots to start a war. Why did my post affect you ? . Or during the youth hunt, everybody should be able to hunt, For one, in the title of the hunt, muzzle loader

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
i personally think it affects me by hearing enough gun shots to start a war. Why did my post affect you ? . Or during the youth hunt, everybody should be able to hunt, For one, in the title of the hunt, muzzle loader
So what are you saying? That more people participating is bad? or that more deer falling is bad? Can't you still use your muzzleloader?

I would possibly be more sympathetic if it was like the old days. No scopes or inline muzzleloader or rangefinders, just flintlocks and percussion caps and strictly iron sights. Round balls and lead conicals that were bore diameter. Black powder or pyrodex only. Then you might have a more valid point.

However with modern muzzleloading rifles the difference between them and the straight wall cartridges used in most of the SLP the point seems to be lost..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts