Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

81 - 100 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I remember near the end of my career my employer bought a new software program for several million $. It didnt work right, long story. Cost them a few million more to get it right.
I know an Engineer that thought of a way to cheaply reduce the rotational mass of a engine component by 1 pound, saved millions by improving fuel economy........ME.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My wife and I have sworn off fast food due to consistently poor quality and service, except Culver's, never had a bad experience. We were refused service at a McDonald's on June 19, I'll let everyone else figure that one out.
The health care and auto insurance industries both use what I call "intentional difficulty" to sway us towards saying "to hell with it" and not going through the tedious process of making policy changes that will save us money. Changes usually take 3 calls to get right. This is just the results of our overpaid representatives in D.C. and Lansing.
When dealing with businesses that pay low wages, you usually get what you pay for.
When dealing with the government or industries controlled by it, you never do.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I know an Engineer that thought of a way to cheaply reduce the rotational mass of a engine component by 1 pound, saved millions by improving fuel economy........ME.
Can we say broken Crankshaft from being hollow five years from now?

My wife and I have sworn off fast food due to consistently poor quality and service, except Culver's, never had a bad experience. We were refused service at a McDonald's on June 19, I'll let everyone else figure that one out.
The health care and auto insurance industries both use what I call "intentional difficulty" to sway us towards saying "to hell with it" and not going through the tedious process of making policy changes that will save us money. Changes usually take 3 calls to get right. This is just the results of our overpaid representatives in D.C. and Lansing.
When dealing with businesses that pay low wages, you usually get what you pay for.
When dealing with the government or industries controlled by it, you never do.
McDonalds doesn't co sponsor your handle? :D

·
Premium Member
10,605 Posts
Finally decided after 5 years to go back to the Burger King 2 blocks from my house. Seen there was 1 car in the drive through so I figured it would be quicker to go inside. Go inside and it looked like I was on the TV show Soul Train. Everybody standing in line dancing to the music being blasted on the radio compliments of the restaurant. Finally put my order in(Whopper with Cheese and fries and large Coke). Have to wait a half an hour while the customers are staring at me (probably cause I wasn't Break Dancing,didn't bring my cardboard with me.) Get my order and check it before I leave. Sure enough it's wrong. No fries,and no top bun on the Whopper(Chicken Sandwich!) which I didn't order. Had to wait to get the managers attention(female)because she was still dancing to the song being played. She asked me what was wrong. When I showed her the Chicken Sandwich she said she didn't have all day to play guessing games. Told her I didn't order Chicken and on top of that,the bun was missing. She grabbed a bun pushed it on top of the chicken and told me have a nice day.
Were you in uniform? I've heard you guys aren't always the most popular people.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Did they give you an extra dollar?
Since a patent was not involved I did not get the token 1.00. In an Engineer's life, process modifications are part of your job. You are hired and paid to make improvements. This was just a process improvement that was not caught by the product design staff. All I got was the satisfaction of rubbing it in the arse of the Release Engineers.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Can we say broken Crankshaft from being hollow five years from now?

McDonalds doesn't co sponsor your handle? :D
Chessie
That change was made over 30 years ago and that component is still being installed, by the way, in Corvettes. Not one failure that I would know.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Out of curiosity, how old do you think Millennials are?
I don't think we can pick on that one age group. Ineptness is spread throughout all of the age groups. Go over the procedure on how you want a part replaced on a Friday afternoon and on Monday the part arrives and is installed. I ask if the procedure I outlined was used and I get a look like I just spoke something in Chinese.

·
Hunter gatherer
8,761 Posts
Big Mac price vs. Minimum wage (2018):

USA -
Min Wage: $7.25
Big Mac: $4.30

France:
Min Wage: $12.35
Big Mac: $4.84

Australia:
Min Wage: $14.80
Big Mac: $4.71
Yeah, but you do realize France uses old outdated meat, floating with sauces to cover the taste...and Australia uses Kangaroo.

·
Premium Member
10,605 Posts
I only let my wife order off the dollar menu.
I should add that my wife prefers places where she can overpay for the exact same item every time she goes. Her favorite is probably Ilove Garbage. Endless salad, bread sticks, and chicken alfredo. Add in spaghetti for my son, mac and cheese for my daughter, and a tour of Italy for me, and we are at 50 bones before we even add in a couple sodas. By the time I tip, it's 75 bucks for something I could make at home for 7 dollars. Glad we don't drink wine. But it is consistent...Petro should try it.

That's why I steer her toward the chicken sammich and fries at Mickey D's.:D

·
Registered
17,406 Posts
Corvette camshafts don't work too well when your Jack wad operator stuffs his ear plugs into the hole that runs the length of the shaft. Seems to block off the oil supply. After you get done digging out the cam that is now one with the block it's usually hard to find the failure mode. This time not so much.

I know for a fact that a Cummins 6.7L cam works in a 5.9L engine, so when you replaced the 5.9L cam in service your options were a $300 service 5.9L cam, or a $40 6.7L production cam they would gladly sell you as a $300 service cam in a spiffy box. One had wider lobes. Machined from the same Mahle casting. We didn't want keep the old line around and Cummins was more than happy to enjoy a nice profit. Win win except for the consumer.

Reactions: TK81

·
Premium Member
10,605 Posts
My wife gets our son a "Happy meal" every once in a while when short on time and he has been behaving. Out of the last 3 times, once they forgot fries and once a bottle of milk. Yes, thats right, they forgot FRIES. Its their bread and butter for cripes sake. Whatever... she contacted them and was provided 2 vouchers for free future errors.
They consistently forget the sauce for the nuggets. My daughter will not eat the nuggets without her sweet and sour. I keep a stash the fridge drawer for emergencies.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Corvette camshafts don't work too well when your Jack wad operator stuffs his ear plugs into the hole that runs the length of the shaft. Seems to block off the oil supply. After you get done digging out the cam that is now one with the block it's usually hard to find the failure mode. This time not so much.

I know for a fact that a Cummins 6.7L cam works in a 5.9L engine, so when you replaced the 5.9L cam in service your options were a $300 service 5.9L cam, or a $40 6.7L production cam they would gladly sell you as a $300 service cam in a spiffy box. One had wider lobes. Machined from the same Mahle casting. We didn't want keep the old line around and Cummins was more than happy to enjoy a nice profit. Win win except for the consumer.
Originally the center hole in the billet camshaft was not designed to provide lubrication to the lobes or journals. I doubt it but just maybe someone drilled out the journals for lubrication. You cannot pressurize the I.D. so it would be useless.

81 - 100 of 183 Posts