Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been one of the worst years that I can remember, seems like reports are coming from everywhere about seeing fish but not getting many to hit. I have watched hundreds of fish on my camera on two seperate trips that just would not bite anything. Have tried minnows, waxworms, red spikes, and wigglers. All on tear drops, jigs, and small plain hooks. Tried jigging Rapalas, Ken's hooks, and spoons.

I have actually hit fish on the nose with wigglers and had them slowly swim off!!!

Any theories?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have been icefishing the lake for some forty years or so and I used to wonder the same thing. Some years are like that and if you figured this out you would be the richest man if the whole world with all the money you could make with your secret. You would even put the FaceBook guy to shame. What I think it is,,, it is just nature's way of keeping things even and to balance things over time.

What I have done and what has best worked for me is to buy a spear. At least that works on St Clair in Jan and Feb when the water is clear. But............We all know your pain and suffer with you.

Bob

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
This has been one of the worst years that I can remember, seems like reports are coming from everywhere about seeing fish but not getting many to hit. I have watched hundreds of fish on my camera on two seperate trips that just would not bite anything. Have tried minnows, waxworms, red spikes, and wigglers. All on tear drops, jigs, and small plain hooks. Tried jigging Rapalas, Ken's hooks, and spoons.

I have actually hit fish on the nose with wigglers and had them slowly swim off!!!

Any theories?
you need to lay the wiggler down, and it has to be ALIVE....they will ONLY suck if off the bottom when they are that neutral.

·
Administrator
17,511 Posts
Funny you ask, but I was thinking the same thing last night.
My best guess would be the amount of fry and minnows that I am seeing along weed beds where the I am seeing the pigs! I don't EVER remember seeing 20 - 30 fry in my hole at the same time. The pigs come in at the same time and don't look at them either.
When they are hungry, the big fish can feed in a very short period of time on the ample food suply.
<----<<<

·
Registered
102 Posts
Those big hogs are just roaming around looking for a free meal.I just put a minnow head on a small plain hook and dead stick it on the bottom. Cought a few that way:fish:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used live wigglers, jigged them to get attentiom and then let them sit. Many of the times pounding the bottom and attracting 4 or 5 and then setting it down on the bottom with the tail up off the botom and flickering. Still lock jawed!! I watch it all on my underwater cam so I can refine my presetation. Still lock jawed!!!

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
I have used live wigglers, jigged them to get attentiom and then let them sit. Many of the times pounding the bottom and attracting 4 or 5 and then setting it down on the bottom with the tail up off the botom and flickering. Still lock jawed!! I watch it all on my underwater cam so I can refine my presetation. Still lock jawed!!!
you must consider 2 things.First is the time of year.Fishing is usually always hit or miss come mid-late Jan.sometimes they are on,sometimes they are off.Conditions vary day to day.Second,the amount of shad this year is a big factor as well,not just for LSC but all of Lake Huron.I personally cant remember the last time Ive seen shad like this literally everywhere.Big perch wont have to work to get a meal of small shad let me tell ya.The shad are starting to die off in the Saginaw Bay region and the fishing is improving but they are still going pretty strong on LSC so until they start to die off, expect slower fishing

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
now that IS serious lock jaw....i have yet to experience it...maybe tomorrow!!!

search this site for "The Ultimate Perch Killer"

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Well, if you are like me and can only fish on weekends and near holidays, I have noticed that weather has played a big factor for me.

It is unbelievable how many super-high pressure days that are coupled with a big drop in the air temp I have been subject to. I've fished 5 or 6 different places with high pressure and cold fronts. Of course, I have to fish after this weather pattern has set in. Can't buy a bite.....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Well, if you are like me and can only fish on weekends and near holidays, I have noticed that weather has played a big factor for me.

It is unbelievable how many super-high pressure days that are coupled with a big drop in the air temp I have been subject to. I've fished 5 or 6 different places with high pressure and cold fronts. Of course, I have to fish after this weather pattern has set in. Can't buy a bite.....
agree completely....we need STABILITY.

best fishing occurs prior to an incoming front after 4 or 5 days of stable weather....at least thats what ive experienced.

its been tough...and frustrating!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts