Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Real question. I really enjoy my yearly supply of venison steaks except those old bucks are no where near as good eating as a younger deer. Even if you let them hang and age, the meat from a young deer is far superior.

So other then having some antlers to put on your wall, is there a good reason to kill a mature buck? They aren't good to eat so do you think it's worth it to take the life of an animal just for a set of antlers?

Why not just get a good camera and take a nice picture of them, then EVERYONE will have a chance to get a trophy picture.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
:tsk: .................

:grouphug:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yeah, they taste the best when they have a belly full of carrots and sugar beets!!!!

Why does this forum suck so bad lately? Do you think all the other states argue and bicker like we do?

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, they taste the best when they have a belly full of carrots and sugar beets!!!!

Why does this forum suck so bad lately? Do you think all the other states argue and bicker like we do?
Well don't start....

Seriously. We could be better then all these other states everyone keeps talking about.. Let the big ones go and take a picture of them.. We'd have monsters running around all over before we even knew it and we could continue focusing on harvesting quality table fare.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Think about this, in a few years what would the rut be like??? 10 to 1 bucks to does, the exact opposite of what we have now!!! Talk about crazy rut activity!!!!:D

·
Registered
579 Posts
Man the best part to eat on a Deer is the horns....The more points the better the taste.

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
Real question. I really enjoy my yearly supply of venison steaks except those old bucks are no where near as good eating as a younger deer. Even if you let them hang and age, the meat from a young deer is far superior.
There is a simple fundamental flaw in your theory. It is the myth that a younger deer is better. I harvested a 3.5 yo buck this year. We ate tenderloins while processing and they were as exquisite as any meat you could ever have.

Maybe a very old deer like an 8 or 10 year old is less good to eat. I don't know, never shot one. But for meat, I would much prefer 170 pounds of 3 year old meat over 90 pounds of one year old meat any time.

It is simply a complete myth that a three or four year old deer is less good eating than a 1.5 year old deer.

Nice try though.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Real question. I really enjoy my yearly supply of venison steaks except those old bucks are no where near as good eating as a younger deer. Even if you let them hang and age, the meat from a young deer is far superior
great post.....can you show us a pic of these mature bucks you have harvested......that you ASSume are less palateable????

Just sounds like another excuse to me.......;)

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I think your age/meat quality statement is a matter of opinion. I think the quality is more about the kill and handling of the meat until it gets in the freezer. Best deer I ever ate was a 3 1/2 year old buck....no joke.

·
Registered
538 Posts
There is a simple fundamental flaw in your theory. It is the myth that a younger deer is better. I harvested a 3.5 yo buck this year. We ate tenderloins while processing and they were as exquisite as any meat you could ever have.

Maybe a very old deer like an 8 or 10 year old is less good to eat. I don't know, never shot one. But for meat, I would much prefer 170 pounds of 3 year old meat over 90 pounds of one year old meat any time.

It is simply a complete myth that a three or four year old deer is less good eating than a 1.5 year old deer.

Nice try though.
I disagree, not with the taste, but with it being a myth. taste is decided by the one eating it, unless you did a mass study and your stats lean towards one or the other it boils down to personal preference.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I disagree, not with the taste, but with it being a myth. taste is decided by the one eating it, unless you did a mass study and your stats lean towards one or the other it boils down to personal preference.
You are right ...its not a myth....it's an excuse.........

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Learn how to cook venison and it all tastes good. Young or old! Rutting buck or doe. What ever. This is a stupid post thats for sure. So what do you dow hen you shoot a 7 year old doe?

Paul

1 - 20 of 57 Posts