Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scouting now will at least let you get an idea on numbers and size of the birds.
Today I saw three huge toms walk into an area that I never even thought to hunt in the past.
You can bet I'll try a set up or two in that spot this year.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Around me---birds are still in their winter flocks.

Tranlation--I do not have a single bird in the section that I hunt most.

In fact, I don't know that there are any birds in the section I hunt second most.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is that scouting now might just disappoint folks hoping to glimpse birds in areas that they can hunt all because they just aren't there yet...

Three years ago, there was not a tom in the section until the evening of the last day of the first hunt.

Last year, there was only one tom (except for one or two days) in the section for the first hunt and he was seriously henned up with 7-13 hens on any given day.

If you happen to have an area to hunt that holds birds all year, you are lucky as you can then do the kind of scouting that you are talking about. As you can see, it would be a waste of my time...

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Counted over 150 birds today in several different flocks.
This was in a 6 mile radius so I imagine a few of them will stick around.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Yup Trout---looks like you have prospects for a decent season.

Like I said, does me absolutely no good---well, on second thought, there is a pretty good flock 1/4 mile away (just toms and jakes though) that frequent what must be some corn in a guys back yard....

I don't get excited just yet--the snow has to go and the flocks break up before I can even start to pattern them.

Kinda like buck groups in the summer---you know you have got them around but no tellin where they will wind up come arrow flingin time...:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts