Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have grown up in MI I never gave it much thought, but now on the outside looking in I was thinking to my self "why does the rifle deer season open on the 15th of Nov"....

I know it's tradition and has been that way for years.. But why the 15th and not the second Sat or third Sat like many if not most states.. The 15th could be a Monday or a wed it tends to float..

Here in GA the opener is always on the 3rd sat of Oct so it always opens on a sat and many other states do the same.. In TN it is the sat before thanksgiving..

I would think a lot of folks miss the opener because of work and maybe some of you like it that way.

So why the 15th? ....

tradition aside would you be willing to change it to the 2nd or 3rd sat of the month?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
it gives us second and third shifters a few years in a row to hunt without out weekend pressure ...yep I get a dime an hour to work second but I get to hunt or fish every weekday morning...blame the uaw...lol

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_988 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Because its eady to plan for you know exactly when to ask for time off years in advance no calender needed.

Simplicity is the reason. For every person that hates a mid week opener there's others that rejoice over it.

·
Registered
26,563 Posts
Why not?

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Have grown up in MI I never gave it much thought, but now on the outside looking in I was thinking to my self "why does the rifle deer season open on the 15th of Nov"....

I know it's tradition and has been that way for years.. But why the 15th and not the second Sat or third Sat like many if not most states.. The 15th could be a Monday or a wed it tends to float..

Here in GA the opener is always on the 3rd sat of Oct so it always opens on a sat and many other states do the same.. In TN it is the sat before thanksgiving..

I would think a lot of folks miss the opener because of work and maybe some of you like it that way.

So why the 15th? ....

tradition aside would you be willing to change it to the 2nd or 3rd sat of the month?
Would change in a heart beat. Its just a date. Most people I know never have a good reason. Normally its just "that's the way it is why change it" or in other words its I'm just to lazy to look at a calander to try and figure out the 3rd sat.

We already are doing this for watwrfowl and other species. Just we as deer hunters seem to put a value on them over most other types of game.

But if you change gun would you change bow? Where does it stop?

Again to me its just date and changing it wouldn't bother me. There would still be opening day and camps etc.

But really whats the big deal? What's your reasons to change it?

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because its easy to plan for you know exactly when to ask for time off years in advance no calender needed.
wouldn't a set day do the same? if it was always the 2nd sat of Nov you still be able to plan..

I am really wondering does anyone know why the state of MI picked the date and not a day?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

So why the 15th? ....

Why be a fan of Wisconsin? Sure maybe it's where you or someone you are aware of went to school and it's a "tradition" to do so but there are lots of other schools to choose from some of which might make a lot more sense. I would think one would miss the opener or home coming because of the distance and may not even be able to watch on tv due to lack of coverage.

Maybe some of you like it that way.

Ok just poking fun but you get my point don't you?

·
Registered
35,611 Posts
If it isn't broke don't fix it. It's been working fine the way it is.

If you move it forward you move it into the peak of the breeding. If you move it later many hunters miss out due to the migration. This isn't Georgia where the deer live and die within a small area.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will answer within the quote below:)

Would change in a heart beat. Its just a date. Most people I know never have a good reason. Normally its just "that's the way it is why change it" or in other words its I'm just to lazy to look at a calendar to try and figure out the 3rd sat.
[Great answer and probably fits many, "I can always plan for the 15th"]

We already are doing this for watwrfowl and other species. Just we as deer hunters seem to put a value on them over most other types of game. [ very true we deer hunters often think we are center of the hunting universe]

But if you change gun would you change bow? Where does it stop?
[I am specifically talking rifle deer season, but feel all seasons should open and close on a weekend]

Again to me its just date and changing it wouldn't bother me. There would still be opening day and camps etc
[me neither if I lived there still, but I feel many would fight a change]

But really whats the big deal? What's your reasons to change it?
[Not looking to change just asking if anyone knows why this DATE was picked and would in bother you if it was changed to a sat opener.]

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Just going to sit and watch this year.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did find several news stories from 2011 where state rep tried to change it too the sat closest to thanksgiving..

I also found where they tried sat openers back in the 60s briefly. My first year hunting deer in MI was 1974 so all I remember is 15th openers..

I still can't find why the 15th was picked as the THE day..
http://www.gophouse.com/welcome.asp?District=99

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I did find this buried in the hunting history part of the regs.. It seems tradition has not been tradition for all that long.. If I read this correctly the state Legislature determined that the 15th -30th of Nov was the best time to hunt deer

"Season dates were changed several times until 1925, when November 15 through 30 was determined to be the best time for hunting deer. It is interesting to note that except for failed experiments with Saturday openers and split seasons between 1962 and 1967, the firearm season of November 15 through 30 has remained the same for more than half a century."

here is a neat time line PDF I found as well, amazing how many counties were closed to hunting for several years at a time..

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/DEER_REGULATION_HISTORY_210705_7.pdf

read it all lots of interesting info

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.