Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked on the Remington website, and in their catalogue. They have gobs of info for centerfire rifle, but no info for ballistics for the 12 guage copper solid sabots. They have yardage up to 100 on the package (sighted in at 50 yards, and something like a 2.5 inch drop at 100 yards), but I'm wondering what the drop is for shots that are longer. Does this mean we shouldn't be shooting over 100 yards?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use to use these and I sited my 870 with rifled barrel in at 100 yd right on and 150 was 3in low and 200 9in low. but you really should go to the range and find out what your gun shoots, it could be alot different.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
100 yards with a shot gun is about the limit.....will a 12 guage slug kill a deer farther out sure.......but even with sabots its probably not a good idea

those drop charts are just a starting point you need to shoot a gun to figure that out........as far as the ballisitcs at 1550 for 3 in and 1450 for 2 3/4 it just doesnt have the volecity to make long shots all though they do get you a little more range then a standard 12 guage slug

imho if you want to shoot over 100 yards buy an inline muzzle loader

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
100 yards with a shot gun is about the limit.....will a 12 guage slug kill a deer farther out sure.......but even with sabots its probably not a good idea

those drop charts are just a starting point you need to shoot a gun to figure that out........as far as the ballisitcs at 1550 for 3 in and 1450 for 2 3/4 it just doesnt have the volecity to make long shots all though they do get you a little more range then a standard 12 guage slug

imho if you want to shoot over 100 yards buy an inline muzzle loader
This post is spot on. With 12 gauge sabots, I don't care which one, anything beyond 150 yards you may as well be throwing a stone. You would have to be very proficient as to where to hold at that range, and if you do indeed hit the deer, it had better be in a very vulnerable spot. Sabot slugs drop their energy quite quickly beyond 125 yards.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well at 100 yards My 1187 with a cantilevered barrel 2x 7 NIKON se t at 4 . Poked a 8 point. Using 3 inch Barnes Expanders. shot thru both legs minimum meat damaged. Quite impressed. He was dead. rolled him over the hill

·
Registered
71 Posts
I shot 2 deer this year at 120 yds. With 12ga. Hornaday SST's 300gr., both deer were knocked over from the shot. I hit right where I aimed. No hold over. I sighted in 1 inch high at 50 yds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 11-87, rifled barrel, and use 3" copper solid sabots. This season I got two deer, one at 120 yards and one at 170 yards. Both clean kills, there was definitely enough energy left. I would not go further than 200 yards.

But I do have to say that I spent $45 = 15 rounds before this year deer season on the range to find out where the bullets go. My results were about the same a decoydog's: 1"-2" high at 50, zero at 100, 2" - 3" low at 150 and 7"-9" low at 200.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts