Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has probably come up before but what is the thinking behind the opener on the 15th. Is it based on science, tradition, economics? I would think that having the opener on a Friday or Saturday every year would be the best day. I think more people would travel and it would be better for the economy. Maybe having it two weeks before Thanksgiving. I know that for me personally that would work better for me and most of the guys I hunt with agree. But if there is science behind it then I would understand the 15th.

So I am looking for your opinions and knowledge. Hope you all have a great hunting season.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
My thought on why the 15th, is to let the deer get a good two weeks of breeding in before the wave of hunters kill off all the teenage bucks. The rut still lingers on and after the 15th, but not as hot as the time from Halloween to the 15th.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
What a bout giving the deer a more sporting chance every year? At least like this, it breaks it up a bit for everyone and every thing. Deer get a break every now and then without having every hunter in the state out on the same weekend. People have a break with not contending with as many people in the field. Cops get a break because they are only out number 200-1 instead of 600-1 on a weekend opener. What about all the people who are not so lucky to work the Mon-Fri 9-5 job? They get a chance now to have the opener fall on their weekend.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
It's amazing how early in the 1900's that there was no hunting in many Southern LP counties. Now, they can't kill enough down there. Interesting how times have changed.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
My thought on why the 15th, is to let the deer get a good two weeks of breeding in before the wave of hunters kill off all the teenage bucks. The rut still lingers on and after the 15th, but not as hot as the time from Halloween to the 15th.
Actually the actual breeding of most does is right around the time of our gun opener...which means a lot of deer get shot before they get a chance to breed. From Halloween to about now deer are just gearing up, with some of the older does coming into heat...but the actual breeding time in MI is usually right about now.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Actually the actual breeding of most does is right around the time of our gun opener...which means a lot of deer get shot before they get a chance to breed. From Halloween to about now deer are just gearing up, with some of the older does coming into heat...but the actual breeding time in MI is usually right about now.
And how many are taken by archery hunters? They have been dodging arrows for a month and a half before the firearm season even starts.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
And how many are taken by archery hunters? They have been dodging arrows for a month and a half before the firearm season even starts.

Not nearly as many as are taken by the 800,000 plus gun hunters that wander to the woods every opening day. Archery success is much less than gun success, and there are a lot less archery hunters than gun hunters. So in proportion archery season doesn't kill near the amount of deer the gun season does. I've seen the statistics somewhere, I just don't have the time to dig them up right now.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Not nearly as many as are taken by the 800,000 plus gun hunters that wander to the woods every opening day. Archery success is much less than gun success, and there are a lot less archery hunters than gun hunters. So in proportion archery season doesn't kill near the amount of deer the gun season does. I've seen the statistics somewhere, I just don't have the time to dig them up right now.
I have seen the numbers and it is not insignificant. And the percentage of bucks to does killed during archery is higher than during firearms season. There are several threads with the numbers if you do a search. Also it's 680,000 gun hunters and dropping.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am not certain, but would imagine the season dates have been determined based on the rut and breeding. You can see the variations through the history but now I think the 15th is just ingrained.
There has been talk a few times about switching it to the second saturday of November (similar to the old season being saturday closest to the 15th) like many other states.
Personally, I like it the way it is. It makes the opener a bit different each time based on how many hunters may be in the field, when they may leave, etc.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
You can't turn a page here without 5 + posts complaing about their neighbor(s), guys tresspassing, stolen gear and on and on and on and you want more people in the woods ?

There are too many as it is.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It's amazing how early in the 1900's that there was no hunting in many Southern LP counties. Now, they can't kill enough down there. Interesting how times have changed.
You don't have to go back that far...we used to rabbit hunt from Oct. 1 to Jan. all over southern MIch and NEVER see a bow hunter....

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
You can't turn a page here without 5 + posts complaing about their neighbor(s), guys tresspassing, stolen gear and on and on and on and you want more people in the woods ?

:yeahthat:

·
Registered
736 Posts

Preach on Brotha TH!:)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Has been the 15th for along time,don't know why the date was picked and really don't care.It is a tradition now to most and I (willing to bet most)do not want to see it changed.If one wants to hunt the opener,then save some vac. time or take it un-paid.If not willing to use vac. time or take the hit then wait till the week-end.Not that hard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts