Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not trying to start an arguement, but rather just trying to gain some understanding. Why would someone without any phisical disabilities opt to use a crossbow instead of a bow during the archery deer season if they are capable of shooting a bow?

·
Registered
371 Posts
The way i see it is most of the people on here probably want full inclusion because they would like to try a new weapon. The majority of the other people in michigan that want to use them want to because its easier and they are sick of missing deer during bow season.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main reason I'm asking is that due to injuries I've suffered over the years, I have to do constant phisical therpy all year just to be able to accuratly shoot my bow at close ranges. Now that the DNR has changed the permit requirements for the use of crossbows during the archery deer season, I would likely now qualify for a crossbow permit. I'm still going to use my compound bow though becuase I enjoy the sport more than any other activity I've ever done. All the work and effort makes it more rewarding for me and I just can't see myself going to a crossbow unless my phisical status gets worse to the point where I just can shoot my bow any more. I go through lots of pain just to hunt with my bow, but it's worth it to me.

·
Banned
3,432 Posts
The way i see it is most of the people on here probably want full inclusion because they would like to try a new weapon. The majority of the other people in michigan that want to use them want to because its easier and they are sick of missing deer during bow season.
and you cant miss with a crossbow?

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Same reason some opt for a recurve, longbow, or compound. Because it's a choice that we should be able to make. No different than someone opting for a Mathews over a Bowtech. Or a Black Widow over a DAS. It's all about choices.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Why would someone want to use a compound bow over a longbow or recurve ?
Why a muzzleloader instead of a shotgun in the shotgun zone?
Why a pistol instead of a rifle .... because it's a choice you as a hunter should be able to make.

Butter21 .... you make pretty broad assumptions when you say "The majority" of other people are tired of missing deer. Speak for yourself.

Even if I were able to shoot a "Vertical" bow, I feel I should have the right to hunt with a crossbow during archery season regardless of disability

·
Registered
944 Posts
I think butter sort of nailed it. The lure of forbidden fruit in wanting to try something new but this will come at the cost of a loss of traditional bow and arrow seasons and their meaning. He is also correct in that some out there don’t want to put forth the effort, dedication, commitment and time it takes to become proficient with a vertical bow, They want all the other aspects of bowhunting without all work involved with mastering the weaponry. After a quick sight in, they are instant deer killers. I blame today’s society for the instant gratification mindset.

If they have never hunted before, they will think they are really bowhunting because they are hunting during the bow and arrow season. If they have hunted before, they will know they are “sort of” bowhunting but only sort of. They will still have to master all of the getting close and scent and camo aspects of bowhunting but if they are not into putting out much effort, they will most likely drop out but because of the point and squeeze ease of taking game, they may stick with it.

There is also the aged and infirmed crowd that has and should have the right to use a weapon that makes it easier to still be able to hunt. Others will talk of "Choice" and "Rights" but we know better. Why not have the choice and the right to use all/any weapon during the "BOW" season? Call it the any weapon that makes you feel good season?

·
Registered
371 Posts
and you cant miss with a crossbow?
After its all sighted in its like shooting a gun.

Why would someone want to use a compound bow over a longbow or recurve ?
Why a muzzleloader instead of a shotgun in the shotgun zone?
Why a pistol instead of a rifle .... because it's a choice you as a hunter should be able to make.

Butter21 .... you make pretty broad assumptions when you say "The majority" of other people are tired of missing deer. Speak for yourself.

Even if I were able to shoot a "Vertical" bow, I feel I should have the right to hunt with a crossbow during archery season regardless of disability
Ok change the majority to a large percentage. Munster i dont have any facts to back it up, so don't bother asking.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I think butter sort of nailed it. The lure of forbidden fruit in wanting to try something new but this will come at the cost of a loss of traditional bow and arrow seasons and their meaning. He is also correct in that some out there don’t want to put forth the effort, dedication, commitment and time it takes to become proficient with a vertical bow, They want all the other aspects of bowhunting without all work involved with mastering the weaponry. After a quick sight in, they are instant deer killers. I blame today’s society for the instant gratification mindset.

If they have never hunted before, they will think they are really bowhunting because they are hunting during the bow and arrow season. If they have hunted before, they will know they are “sort of” bowhunting but only sort of. They will still have to master all of the getting close and scent and camo aspects of bowhunting but if they are not into putting out much effort, they will most likely drop out but because of the point and squeeze ease of taking game, they may stick with it.

There is also the aged and infirmed crowd that has and should have the right to use a weapon that makes it easier to still be able to hunt. Others will talk of "Choice" and "Rights" but we know better. Why not have the choice and the right to use all/any weapon during the "BOW" season? Call it the any weapon that makes you feel good season?
Because ALL weapons aren't archery equipment, but a crossbow is. To make a choice for everyone based on one persons opinion of what 'bowhunting' is simply reeks of elitism. The choice should be up to an individual regardless of their reasons for using one, not someone else .

·
Registered
944 Posts
Why would someone want to use a compound bow over a longbow or recurve ? Since all vertical bows have to be drawn at the time of kill, they are pretty much the same

Why a muzzleloader instead of a shotgun in the shotgun zone? Because a ML offers more of a challenge and is a lesser weapon

Why a pistol instead of a rifle? Because a pistol offers more of a challenge and is harder to use making it a lesser weapon.

because it's a choice you as a hunter should be able to make. To make it easier to harvest???
Thats why

·
Registered
944 Posts
Because ALL weapons aren't archery equipment, but a crossbow is. To make a choice for everyone based on one persons opinion of what 'bowhunting' is simply reeks of elitism. The choice should be up to an individual, not someone else regardless of their reasons for using one.
A 15 Lbs. Draw weight bear Cub recurve shooting rubber blunts is also archery equipment but it's not legal either.

It's not elitism or personal opinion, it's the law, If they were archery equipment, they would have been in the bow season all along.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
A 15 Lbs. Draw weight bear Cub recurve shooting rubber blunts is also archery equipment but it's not legal either.

It's not elitism or personal opinion, it's the law, If they were archery equipment, they would have been in the bow season all along.
Using that comparison a 15# crossbow shouldn't be legal either. But actually there is no DW restriction here in MI. It's not because of the bow but because of its effectiveness or lack thereof. As for the law, it is archery equipment that is being allowed during archery season. Just not for everybody.

·
Registered
944 Posts
If they were archery equipment, they would have been in the bow season all along. Greed and the desire to reduce the deer herd have lowered the standards of some. Again, I blame society.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
If they were archery equipment, they would have been in the bow season all along. Greed and the desire to reduce the deer herd have lowered the standards of some. Again, I blame society.
Since I believe 1993 they have been allowed in archery season RC. Just not for evveryone.;)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Since I believe 1993 they have been allowed in archery season RC. Just not for evveryone.;)
correct and for good reason, It gave those with diminished ability the ability to continue hunting by making very easy for them to participate. If an able bodied person would have used one last year and been caught, the would have been fined and labeled a poacher. Somehow, by the stroke of a pen, next year that same person will be a bowhunter?? I think not. At least Pope and Young and the PBS are still getting it right but I'm sure there will be some sort of crossbow hunting records set up so they can try to compare their kills to bowhunting kills.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
correct and for good reason, It gave those with diminished ability the ability to continue hunting by making very easy for them to participate. If an able bodied person would have used one last year and been caught, the would have been fined and labeled a poacher. Somehow, by the stroke of a pen, next year that same person will be a bowhunter?? I think not. At least Pope and Young and the PBS are still getting it right but I'm sure there will be some sort of crossbow hunting records set up so they can try to compare their kills to bowhunting kills.
Similar to the changes they made for compound kills and then let off percentages? I think you're right. Just like everything else , evolution is a fact of life.;) And choices are a part of it. No one will be robbing you of your feelings regarding bowhunting or your choice of weapon if by chance they pick up a crossbow. So by extension you should feel safe and unthreatened if/when it becomes a reality. It really has nothing to do with each individual and their thoughts and beliefs. It's an individual thing. Unless of course there's envy or jealousy involved. But I know you pretty good Ron and I know that's as far from the truth as can be for you.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Similar to the changes they made for compound kills and then let off percentages? I think you're right. Just like everything else , evolution is a fact of life.;) And choices are a part of it. No one will be robbing you of your feelings regarding bowhunting or your choice of weapon if by chance they pick up a crossbow. So by extension you should feel safe and unthreatened if/when it becomes a reality. It really has nothing to do with each individual and their thoughts and beliefs. It's an individual thing. Unless of course there's envy or jealousy involved. But I know you pretty good Ron and I know that's as far from the truth as can be for you.
Good thing everyone doesn't think that way.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'm not trying to start an argument, but rather just trying to gain some understanding. Why would someone without any physical disabilities opt to use a crossbow instead of a bow during the archery deer season if they are capable of shooting a bow?
Because its easy and quick and there is always a small group wanting to be catered too.

Fortunately we have senators that understand and still have some respect for the bow season and aren't persuaded by some of the shallow arguments of a select few.

BTW those that oppose full intrusion should also keep emailing and calling and writing their senator and make sure your voice is heard as well.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts