Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 4 years ago I finally got smart and made the switch from waxies to spikes and haven't looked back since. Nothing like not having to rebait your hook after every gill you catch with waxies. Two weeks ago I caught 19 gills, with 13 keepers, and only used 3 spikes the whole night. They are just so much tougher then waxworms. Plus when the action gets hot and heavy, who wants to be threading waxies on after every fish. Not to mention that waxies are twice as expensive.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
yeah, i'm not a waxie fan either... only use em when thats all i got. big spike fan, for years thats all i used for pannies. i don't think i ever recall a time where waxies actually outfished spikes, and worst it was even, and many times they seem to prefer spikes.

heres a hint: put on two spikes at a time, it will help keep your lure from spinning, which fish have a tendency of not liking.

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah, I agree, often times I go with two spikes to. usually I just let the secod one dangle to add some enticement

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
what are the difference between them.whats a spike? i just got into panfish fishing this year.is it the size.

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Waxworms are about twice the size of a spike. Spikes are actually just fly maggots, with a glorified name. Mousies are a little different. They have a tail, and aren't quite as large as a waxworm, but are bigger then a spike. I personally don't like mousies because they tend to "explode" when hooked and don't hold there shape really well. Waxworms would be my favorite, if I could keep them on a hook for more then one fish, but you just can't beat spikes.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Spikes are tough as you say, but all the larva baits seem to have their place.

Have fished lakes were the fish seemed to prefer mousies with them little tails a danglin' and wavin' in the water.

Spikes are the toughest and are great when ya got a lot of little bait stealers around, 'specially like the "Euro Larva" in red.

Have fished lakes where the bruiser gills seemed to prefer a fresh, fat, waxie on the hook, waxies have a lot of stuffing to get knocked out of them and the debri floating in the water seems to hold fish in the area.

The cornborer used to be the primo bait they're almost as tough as a spike and about the size of a small waxie. Used to pick our own, only thing is they are almost impossible to find anymore, anybody got a wormy sweet corn patch out there. :) When you did find 'em in a bait store ya couldn't afford 'em.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
mousies are actually my go to bait....and I usually have two on the hook

but I feel they all have there place......and usually have all three in my pocket when I venture out

here is a tip for bait storage......the container that M&M mini's come in is perfect for the task.....I usually pop a couple small holes in the top so it can breath.....never have a bait container come open in your pocket again!

·
Registered
617 Posts
GoneFishin said:
Have fished lakes where the bruiser gills seemed to prefer a fresh, fat, waxie on the hook, waxies have a lot of stuffing to get knocked out of them and the debri floating in the water seems to hold fish in the area.

The cornborer used to be the primo bait they're almost as tough as a spike and about the size of a small waxie. Used to pick our own, only thing is they are almost impossible to find anymore, anybody got a wormy sweet corn patch out there. :) When you did find 'em in a bait store ya couldn't afford 'em.
In the lake I fish waxworms are the go to bait---often times they work the best after I've caught a fish or 2 on them and they're just a "blob of goo" that I just cover any of the hook with. On this great little lake the fish will not bite if any part of the hook is showing. Little spikes don't seem to work as well here and I'll out fish my buddy using spikes 3 to 1.

Last year I started using "butter worms" which are like a waxworm on steroids and are tougher than a reg waxworm. They also have a red tint to them. They kick azz on this same lake. Wishin I had decent ice there:bonk:

The late sweet corn in my garden always is filled with corn borers but that's early sept. If refrigerated would they keep til ice fishing season???

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Fished up north today(Haymarsh) and bought waxies,spikes and mousies.I used mousies most of the day.Fish didnt seem to like the spikes.Waxies are to easy to lose....

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Spikes harden up. Waxxies i have used 1 1/2 week old waxxies that i had in the bottom of my bucket and caught some nice gills off. when i hook spikes there squirt all out. the other like i caught over 40 crappie and 35 gills and alomst used a thing of waxxies.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've always had waxworms out last spikes/eurolarvae on the hook. to me, the skikes/larvae seem to stay intact and slip off the hook. Waxworm on the other hand get smashed and the skin stays behind, which still works great. I sometimes I don't have to use more than a couple waxworms for a whole day of fishing (and catching). A couple dozen waxworms last me for a long time.

Do you guys thread on the spikes/larvae, or just nick them in the end. I've fished them both ways, still often having to rebait after every fish. I always thread the waxworms on the hook.

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With spikes I run one up the hook, and then let the second dangle. Usually works good for me. Fished lastnight, and rigged up once at 3:30 and fished til dark and never rebaited. Course I only caught 11 gills, but point being, I didn't have to put my beer down too much.:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
chuckinduck said:
... I didn't have to put my beer down too much.:lol: :lol:
Now that's the best argument I've hear for using spikes but if your really serious about the beer, a bare hook works best. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well we still want to catch some fish right? Hahah, has anyone used the red spikes with any success, and where can you find them. I wonder if you put red food coloring on them, if that would stay on in the water. and not kill them in the process of applying it.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
chuckinduck said:
.... has anyone used the red spikes with any success, and where can you find them....
Blue used 'em up-north with good success this year on perch, I have used 'em down here on gills in the past with some success. We stocked up at Frank's on the way north and if the weather doesn't change soon I'll be fly fishin' (provided I can catch the little buggers after they hatch). :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Most experienced fishermen know that certain baits work better on different days. All of the bails mentioned have a different odor and therefore might he the preferred bait on any given day. If you want to limit yourself because spikes stay on your book better, it is not what I would consider a good strategy but I’ll drink to it anyway!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts