Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder if anyone can put forth a reasonable answer for this:
I bowhunt on public land in Southeast Michigan.This year I found a lot of trash out there especially at parking areas.
A short list of items found in parking spots:
Empty bait bags.
Empty cigarette packs.
An empty archery target carton
An empty Gander Mountain Bag with buck lure packaging and food wrappers
Beer cans and other garbage.
empty fast food bags.
Today I was out and came across a gutpile from a deer- on the ground a bloody pair of rubbergloves, their package and some bloody papertowels. When I got back to the parking area I found a busted up pumpkin- stuffed in it were more bloody towels-they were the same type as the ones by the gutpile.
I picked up a lot trash I came across-I picked up enough to fill at least 3 large trash bags this year.
In the past I've found trash left behind too. I just don't get it. Why can't a people clean up? Someone told me once they know when it's hunting season- they see the trash so called hunters leave around.
When there are debates on certain methods of hunting and ethics I often hear someone say not to point fingers at others because we all love wildlife and the land and "we're all in this together". I have a hard time defending something like this. I really think it makes folks that hunt look like slobs- I for one have to agree. This area gets a lot of use by the non-hunting public-how do you think they see this??? Kind of hard to say we care when a lot of bums won't clean up after themselves.
:confused: Any thoughts? :confused:

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
No thoughts except that they are lazy slobs.
I used to think it was because there were no trash barrels. They even just threw garbage around when there was. No rhyme or reason.

I pick up my fair share, the wife asks me why my truck is so dirty...... lol.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
It has always disturbed me too, I always carry a heavy duty garbage bag out to the woods with me, It always gets filled, It amazes me that I can pick up trash along a certain trail one Saturday, and find trash there the next Saturday too, I have yet to see anyone do it, and you can bet when I do they are going to hear about it..

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
Danatodd99, I've actually noticed when there is a trash barrel "most" of the trash is in the "vicinity" of the barrel, again not always, but most of the time.
I've asked 3 different state employees, (not sure if they were CO's, DNR or what) about no trash barrels at launches and recreation area's, all had the same reply,, "not enough manpower". This really bothers me, the reason being is, 99% of the time these guys are in a 1/2 Dodge Ram Pickup and they're ALREADY THERE ANYWAY!! Why not hook something up to toss that barrel in the bed of the truck? Anyway, bottom line is, these slobs will never learn until their pocket book gets hammered.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Riddle said:
Just follow the miles of surveyors tape to their stands or look for the 300# of carrots.
or how about there mcdonalds sacs and cups or burger king trash actually had one a**hole tell me that that stuff is all biodegradeable, man i wanted to slap him but like always i came out of the woods later that nite and picked up all the trash my pet peeve is the jerks that take a deer home process it and then come back and dump the remains where i park now there is the remains of 2 deer both werent very big,

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The public land I hunt is full of some trash from hunters but most seems to be from locals who think public land means free land fill. I find baby diapers, plastic oil cans, garbage bags full of trash, carpet, & what ever else you can think of (once condoms and a pair of panties).

I too think people who do this are not real hunters but slob a holes. I pick up alot of trash and when I camp I always get as much as I can to start a fire with and burn. Those baby diapers give the hot dogs a whole new flavor. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
spend a day in the area of the parking lot taking down numbers with binocs and turn em into the police..isnt their a heavy fee for littering? im sure thatll help

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's the with a lot of the fishermen that fish the piers, coffe cups, huge chunks of line, beer cans.... I pick it up and walk by them making it known I'm ticked.
I don't get it!

·
Registered
188 Posts
True outdoorsmen have a real respect for the outdoors, plain and simple. Those of you who are concerned of this problem and pick up the mess are the true outdoorsmen. The morons who leave the messes are not even close to being an outdoorsmen.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I agree that some hunters can be slobs but i have to add that most people in general are slobs.

I worked at a state park this past summer and you would not believe some of the stuff we picked up off the beach every mornin...it took us on average of an hour and a half with 2-4 people to clean it all up....

Morale of the story...humans in general are slobs

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have a similar story, except this was AT one of my favorite hunting spots. Some a-hole thought it was his garbage dump and discared an old baby-pool, a few bags of garbage, a hoola-hoop and some other nonsense right behind an area I've had a stand up for the past 4 years. I am so ticked off. I've been looking forward to hunting that sport for a year now, and I was sick to my stomach when I walked back there this year. Unreal! Needless to day, I climbed the tree, took my stand and swithed to a new spot. It's probably been since the winter and there was still plenty of fresh sing back there. But there's just no way I could sit with that in plain view. pi$$ed! :rant:

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I had a guy pull in the parking lot where I hunt opening weekend of bow season with an old workout bench,exercise bike and some other junk.He pulled in right in front of me and jumped out,started pulling stuff out to toss it into the woods.
I got out of the car and walked right up behind his truck and wrote down his license plate number while he watched me.He says "What are you doing?". I say,"Just want to make sure I give the DNR the right guys tag number."
He didn't say another word.He put the stuff back in his truck and left.I've got the number in my car and if I see any of that stuff on that property I'll call the DNR and give it to them :)

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Thats doing the right thing Dinoday for sure.It does get down right discouraging at times.Had my five year old son with me and we go over to a parking lot at the Port Huron State game area this summer.We were just there to go down by the river and for a walk.Junk in the parking lot,on the trail,and as well as down by the river,just very sad.That place is usually real clean,but its still stinks having to explain to the little one why people do this.Well we picked up the junk and I made it out to be a learning experience for him,one of lifes many lessons. :sad:

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
The State land I hunt is usually littered from "others". During the Summer months, there'll be the "panty's of the week" hanging from the same Pine, there's lawn clippings and once Bow season begins, some backyard processor thinks it's a grand idea to dump his deboned deer carcasses in the parking lot and off the dirt road.

One night I was there after dark, putting my hunting stuff away and after I shut the back window and the light goes out, I make my way around to the dirver's door. I hear a car approaching and slowing down as it nears the parking lot. As it slowed in front of the lot, I open my door, the light comes on and low and behold, the car decides to keep going down the road. So, thinking this is the jerk off littering the lot with carcasses, I jump in and race out of the lot to follow him trying to catch him in the act. As I come over a hill on the little one lane dirt road, I catch him getting back into his car and I write down his plate number. I didn't see anything in his hand or throwing anything off to the side of the road. So I haven't reported anything. The next time I go out, I see yet another carcass in the same spot that the car stopped.

If I report it, I don't think they'll do anything because I didn't "see" him doing anything. He hasn't dumped anything in the parking lot in a looong time, just along the dirt road. He must live close by, because he's been doing it for the last 5 years I've hunted this peice of land. I'm sick of it, the stench is horrible.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Let's hear it for Dino. Hip, Hip, Hooray!

And I agree, a lot of people are simply slobs. They will do things at a public place that they wouldn't do at home. Don't believe this? Then you haven't been to many public rest rooms....

We live on a dead end road that is only a little over 1/4 mile long and you wouldn't believe the amount of trash we pick up (and we don't have to have a sign stating that so and so keeps this road clean...).

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I guess not all people were taught only take memories and leave foot prints. Take what with what you brought in including rappers and bags. I even pick up my shot-gun shell casing when I am small game hunting.

fulldraw

1 - 19 of 19 Posts