Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless I didnt understand it correctly last year, they allowed anyone to buy one of the reamaining 65,000 tags from the 301 hunt over the counter even if they didnt apply back in january..... I dont understand that, it use to be that if you didnt apply you couldnt buy a leftover tag maybe it is the same this year, but a friend of mine told me he never applied but was able to buy a 301 hunt over the counter because there were so many remaining, which will always be the case with the 65,000 qouta, they will never be sold out...... My question is why waste the $4 and apply if you can pretty much be garanteed to be able to buy one later and only spend $15 oppose to $19. Now im not trying to complain over $4, I believe we are lucky in Michigan to have cheap license costs Im just asking more for principle understanding........ I beleive what needs to happen and what will happen in the near future is to get rid of the draw in unit ZZ all together and make it just a over the counter tag like a deer license. In the thumb area where I hunt it really should just be an over the counter tag with an allotted season every year, I think this would sell more licenses and start to help to get this bird population that is exploding over here in check.....
I also agree that people that turkey hunt already do so, so you might not get alot more people into it but I think a tag like this would help to get more people into it like the friend that heard about your hunt and wants to give it a try but didnt think about a tag back in january..... I guess they could buy the 234 but why not have the season from april 18 say through the end of may just over the counter...... I wouldnt be surprised to see that in the future at least for unit ZZ......

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I concur. I believe I bought 301 over the counter last year.
Save 25%.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree no need to spend the extra $4 if you don't have to. I am from the thumb area also and think they should change the turkey license to over the counter and make a pheasant license a limited draw.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes All leftover Licenses from the drawing will go on sale on March 15th.....
So with the 65,000 qouta for unit ZZ there will be no shortage of Leftover Licenses so save your money if you want that hunt and just buy it over the counter after the 15th even if you dont apply, I have never done that but I think that is what I will do this year...... I dont remember the numbers last year but there were thousands of tags left for ZZ at the end of the season..... good luck to all this spring.... and if you are having any problems finding birds or a place to hunt just come to the thumb they are everywhere and most farmers are very willing to let you hunt them... Turkeys are almost as much of a nuiscence to the crops as the deer are so they wont usually hesitate to let anyone hunt on their land....

·
Registered
3 Posts
i live an hour south of the thumb and occasionaly get up there for Pheasants. if you know any landowners who would let a stranger take a turkey off their property let me know. i would love to help any of them diminish their turkey problems.
and coyote for that matter!!

·
Registered
10,777 Posts
I actually wish they would not sell leftover licenses and only provided them to folks whom were in the drawing.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I actually wish they would not sell leftover licenses and only provided them to folks whom were in the drawing.
Curious as to your line of thinking on this? I'll take it either way, long as I'm out chasing long beards I really don't care what it's going to cost me for the tag.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
The one bonus that I see now with the 234 hunt is that we can actually get the 15% off now, where as before we had to buy it before we could buy everything else. . . and the can even be the same color.:lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts