Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I decided the other day after a grouse hunt with Jeff and my dad to stop by Scott Chafee's place to check out his wirehaired vizsla and talk for a couple minutes. . . of course, I think we were there for almost an hour.:lol:

Scott is a great guy and showed us around and had us meet his whv. . .awesome temperment on the dog, reminded my a lot of my weim as far as that goes. Scott brought him out and throw the bumper for retrieves as we talked. Scott and Jeff discussed all the whv breeders around the world for a little bit.:lol:

Scott also showed us some pups (2 week old vizsla pups and 2 day old setter pups)

My dad was thoroughly impressed with the WHV and he couldn't stop talking about how it reminded him of his best dog that I always hear about, a spinone that would only point roosters and would flush hens. I know, I didn't believe it either until about 5 of my uncles said the same thing at a family gathering.

Well, here are some pics of the WHV. . .great looking dog, great temperment. . .I just expanded my breed preference for my next dog, something a little more tolerable of cold for late duck/goose.

Here are a couple pics:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
GVSUKUSH said:
They got a cream for that I think........
Worst case, a shot of penicilin.... at least that's what I've been told.... no 1st hand experience.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. We'll see if the dam takes come February on whether or not I'll have to break the news to the wife. As far as I am concerned, come GC'06, I'll have another dog in tow.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The positive thing is they look a little better when they are puppies. Grady and Bogie will never understand why you brought that ugly thing in the house.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
Is there range similiar to a standard V?

My friends Wires are very similiar to her smooth in range and style. Close working foot hunting dogs not ones you need a horse to keep up with.

To those who went and saw Scott's Wires can you tell me if he is now health testing his breeding stock?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
Have you guys seen these dogs work on Wild Birds? Is there range similiar to a standard V?

Just Curious!
I'm guessing they only are ran on pen raised birds...

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Is there room on your vest for another dog?:D

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
this is great I hope you guys get what you want and enjoy it a TON

1 thing tho I really really doubt a dog can smell the Diff in a HEN or a rooster I dont see any way this could be possible But I would really really enjoy seeing it first hand

scott

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
I have seen this first hand. When I was a kid a buddy would borrow a setter from his neighbor it pointed a rooster with about a 10 oclock tail. With hens it would be a straight tail even with it's back. We hunted with this dog from 1960 to 1965 and we always new if it was a hen or rooster. The only times when we were wrong was when it pointed rabbits it had a straight tail just like when pointing hens.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
timbergsp said:
1 thing tho I really really doubt a dog can smell the Diff in a HEN or a rooster I dont see any way this could be possible But I would really really enjoy seeing it first hand

scott
That was my dad's dog back before I was born. . .I am pretty sure you won't be able to see it now.:lol:

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
omega58 said:
That was my dad's dog back before I was born. . .I am pretty sure you won't be able to see it now.:lol:

Thats alright my point is I would beleave its impossible as there cant be to big of diff between the smell of a male and a female during hunting season

scott

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
So after doing a bit of research, I've found out why Jeff wants a WHV

Forget the amazing pedigree- This is who he has to greet him at the door to do the puppy swap.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts