Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is Weezer so far cause we almost always have something happen on our trips that is hilarious, exciting, scary, or something to that effect. I am sure you have seen some of our stories on here, and will in the future.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Mine is my son! He can be a bit stressfull at times, but sitting in our boat, anchored just above the trestle on the ausable river with my son will always be my favorite place to be!

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
I have met and fished with a few guys from this site, and really hard to say, but overall I think I'll have to say my wife. Not only is she fun to be around, but something goofy always seems to happen. Besides that she looks better in waders or shorts than any of you guys.

·
Super Moderator
19,624 Posts
I don't think I have a favorite. I always enjoy fishing with someone new. You learn new techniques and hear good fishing stories.
I beginning to feel like an elderly friend of mine. It feels good to show someone the ropes. No offense, Rodeo, Fishtech, Elk call,Still Jerkin and all the new friends I've made on this site.
I wish I could get my wife out there.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have (2) favorite fishing partners. My most favorite is my friend Woody (nickname). He started me salmon fishing about 15 years ago. We have spent countless hours fishing for about everything under the sun here in Michigan. We got the steelhead bug together and I was with him when he caught his first. He missed the time I caught my first. We dont get out as much as we used too. But when we do, it is the best time fishing I have. The other is the guy we call "Pops". He took Woody and I under his wing and really showed us what steelhead fishing was all about. He is a wizard at fishing.. I have NEVER seen him get skunked!! He is getting pretty old now, and not in good health, but, still gets out and slams the steelhead when he can.

Without these two guys, I would have never got into steelhead fishing.!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have two fishing partners, onein the past, being my Grandfather, and one in the present, being the Shoeman.

My Grandfather , who is no longer on the water with us, used to be a great Walleye fisherman on Lake Erie (Michigan Water only). This was back in the later 70's when there was a good fishery in the Michigan waters. He taught me a lot about being a "Sportman". I have many fond memories.

As for the Shoeman..., well it all started on a cold January day in 1988... He invited me to go ice fishing with him on Kent Lake. He was the one that introduced me to the great sport of Steelhead Fishing. Our first trip was to the Big Manistee, what a memory (What a "Trip"). I don't want to make this sound like a tribute to the Shoeman, but I just have to say this, "Thank you Shoeman... your a fine fisherman and a great friend."

Rodoe

·
Super Moderator
37,497 Posts
My Wife and/or any kid.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
My favorite fishing partners are my parents. When I use to fish salmon tournaments my mother would go as our observer and all the years I chartered they would first mate for me. Back when there use to be the America Salmon Derby on Lake Mi.we would take our vacations that week and fish every day reguardless of weather. There were plenty of days we won port prize because it was so rough the faint hearts stayed dock side. Not everybody can say they've had there mother out in twelve ft. waves. I was just getting even for all those years when I wanted to bobber fish and they trolled for walleyes instead.

------------------

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that is an awesome picture!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Cool photo Mech. Head. I'd have to say my favorite fishing buddie is my dad. We know each other so well that it may be the end of the fishing trip before we even get into a conversation. He's a die hard fisherman and will go with me on a whim.
My wife always brings me good luck when she goes and we always have a memorable time, but she's not fond of the big waves.
An old high school friend and I have been stream fishing for about 15 years and our saying is "always an adventure." It never fails, something always happens on a river outing that helps us remember it (ice filled waders, broken rods, etc). He always said I should name my boat "Always an Adventure", but, my wife won out on that argument and it ended up the "Getaway".

------------------
BobK

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
My favorite fishing buddy is the cool crisp air...ya..I rarely ever fish with someone...When my dad takes me out he usally sleep...I fi meet someone i usally fish with them...I love fishing witl u older guyz that usally know what ur doing. I alway learn something knew

------------------
Stelmon, the only one.
Becareful out there..

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
My favorite fishing bud is Cindy. She always gets excited about us catching a big fish. She has caught alot of big salt water fish too!
Hey did that setter point that fish????

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
Hate to get too sappy about this, but I have to say that despite the fact that I mostly relish fishing solo, I am truly blessed to have started fishing with my dad again over the past few years.
He is turning 63 and I am turning 34, and I think we have had some of the best time of our lives the past three years camping together on the banks of the AuSable and fishing together, then slowly driving around the area with him telling me about all the hunting and fishing adventures he and his brothers and dad had in that area in the 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's.
I can sort of see mid-to-upper michigan how he saw it, and it makes me pretty happy we can share it together.
I still like fishing alone alot too though :)
-
Amos

·
Registered
20 Posts
I alway like meeting someone on the river. I think it so fun to echange fly patterns and see who gets the fish first. But my favorite fishing partner is my dad.A little while back my dad worked with Jim Bedford. Jim told my dad of KIng Salmon that run the river in late summer and through the fall. And he told us of Steelhead that are in the river almost every month of the year.Oh the memories, Dad and i.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
mine is really two different people.

first would be my dad. he is the one who really got me into this steelhead stuff. and he has taught me a lot, like in everyother outdoors sport that him and i do together. i am just upset that he did not put me down as his favorite in his earlier reply. oh well, i guess you cant be considered a fisherman if you have never caught a fish right???

the next would be the person who i am most likely to get hooked by and that is my pastor. Him and i go fishing all of the time together. usually go steelheading more times than my dad and i but we go just to have a good time in nature. we have yet to catch anything while steelheading, but we have managed to tip a rowboat in the middle of the lake while bass fishing. preatty funny story.

quix20

·
Registered
790 Posts
just hang with it son ......you will get a fish or two this year, LOL, even if i have to hand ya my rod (like i read in another post )
or maybe sam will give ya his rod cause as ya know i dont get that many myself
bronc........aka dad

1 - 20 of 53 Posts