Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to hear who is heading where this season. Most on this board know I am moving west this year. Who else is going? and where? If anyone is heading to western Nodak or eastern MT please shoot me an email and let's meet up.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Not this year, but maybe next year with my newly-formed brace of big running pointers. Good luck, post pictures and hunting reports!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Not this year. In all seriousness, take a look at going to Idaho (good wild pheasant hunting if the foxes haven't eaten them all yet) and eastern WA, down in the Palouse, is not bad either. Stay away from the rattlesnakes!

Curious to hear who is heading where this season. Most on this board know I am moving west this year. Who else is going? and where? If anyone is heading to western Nodak or eastern MT please shoot me an email and let's meet up.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
not me......I have a couple of buddies that go each year for two weeks. But for me there's to much to do in Michigan.

·
Registered
684 Posts
We are looking into Kansas this year right after Christmas...more for the possibility of hunting more than one species.
Would love to get into a pheasant/quail overlap.

Did the South Dakota thing a couple of years ago...I don't need to see thousands of birds...just some that will hold for dogs.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
We are looking into Kansas this year right after Christmas...more for the possibility of hunting more than one species.
Would love to get into a pheasant/quail overlap.

Did the South Dakota thing a couple of years ago...I don't need to see thousands of birds...just some that will hold for dogs.
That is why I am going for the sharpies and chickens, which hold incredibly tight early in the season. Not the numbers that you get with pheasant, but you get covey rises and you can hit the smaller groups that form after the flush.

I go to Kansas to do the pheasant/quail thing, some years its boom, some years its bust. What part of the state are you looking at??

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I was just invited to go to SD with a group of guys this fall. think I will take them up on it as they know the land, and have every thing worked out for a 4 day hunt at a reasonable cost. should give Taz a good workout:lol:

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
TPR will be headed to SoDak for a week again this year. The word on the street is that bird numbers should be as good as last year, which was simply phenominal. Plenty of rain too so the cover will be great as well. Hopefully, most of the corn will be in when we go during the second week. And my partner's Golden will have his allergy issues under control by then. We missed that big dog down in the cat tail sloughs.

As much as the bird hunting, I'm looking forward to seeing some farmers there that have become good friends. TPR has great fun serving as "pickup dogs" after some family cornfield drives.:D And the people of SD welcome hunters with open arms.

Natty B.

PS If you go, be sure to observe ALL the Game Laws. I know a bunch from the Buckeye State who spent a few nights in the county lockup because they didnt.:rant:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Last week of mule deer season....Sweetgrass County....Montana 16,000 acres divided amongst 4 hunters....We've been going for about 20 years now.:evil:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Father, college buddy and myself are making the yearly trip again out to Sodak for 4 days of flushing pheasants, then headed north for 10 days of ducks/geese. The dog is getting back into shape after the long year off. Last year we had a great trip and planning on hitting more geese this year after making a few great contacts in Nodak. Will try and take more pictures this year, but it's hard blowing the call, and shooting the gun, just need an extra hand or two.

·
Registered
684 Posts
That is why I am going for the sharpies and chickens, which hold incredibly tight early in the season. Not the numbers that you get with pheasant, but you get covey rises and you can hit the smaller groups that form after the flush.

I go to Kansas to do the pheasant/quail thing, some years its boom, some years its bust. What part of the state are you looking at??
That's the question. Don't know the state at all. We'll do some studying and try to figure out which part offers the most overlap of species. I know there is a lot of public land out there.
We're high school teachers, so we're stuck on the time we go (over Christmas break). Years ago, we went to Spencer, Iowa and hunted public land during the Christmas break. Had the places to ourselves.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Me!!!!

But now that I have moved "out west", I'll actually be hunting "back east" in Kansas, Neb, and SoDAK for Phesants. I understand there are a few here in Colorado, but not a ton. This year will probably be chalked up to a learning year.

I'd like to make it up to Big MO to meet up with you, Mike. But probably won't have a lot of vacation accrued by hunting season.

Here in Colorado, Blue Grouse opens September 1st, Pheasant in November, and I'm only 4 hours or so to the Oklahoma panhandle where wild quail season lasts clear into mid/late February - Nice LOOOOONG stretch of bird hunting. I'll proabaly spend a good deal of time in western Kansas too since its only about two hours to the border from Denver.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Heading out to Saskat for ducks/geese in late sept and Sodak for the pheasant opener and in Nov for ducks. Got to do it now before all the grass is turned to corn.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts