Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
Was in Iron county from November 3-17. Seen decent number of deer. But all the the bucks I had on camera last year didn’t quite show up on camera this year. Had one nice 8, a smaller 8 or 6, a 4 point, and a spike on camera and that’s it. Had wolves in the area, I seen tracks and another guy seen 3. Nobody scored in our camp. Last year for my Dad and his buddy unfortunately so I wish we could’ve went out with a bang. Very tough knowing that’s it for hunting with my Dad. It was my favorite time of year.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Well a lot I could write about here, let's just say the deer hunting was very sketchy, not much sign in central Iron County, I saw a couple of deer the rest of the guys saw one or two, no bucks neighboring Camp to the South passed a 6 point and had two Moose about to mate on the road south of his camp.

Part of the problem was the guys were really down about not seeing any sign and you cannot do that in the U P, when you're going to a cold area with fresh continuous snow covering it all up on your scouting for 2 days straight. When you don't have much time in a new area you've got to use your gut feeling, put out a blind and set a little bait out to help you see something until you can establish yourself and really get to know a new big woods area lots of wolf sign the neighbor I ran into saw a black wolf, coyotes everywhere!

The more disturbing thing it's just a bunch of guys getting older being grumpy no fun in the camp, just wondering how many more I've got left in me, to spend all that time and money to go & not really have that much fun, no cell service, rough roads driving through a river to get to Camp with an expensive truck, it's an adventure for sure, I'm not really sure what to do after this, might be my last big deer camp in the upper peninsula, it's easier just with a couple of guys you can decide what you want to do and where you want to hunt,come and go, do things on your time frame...

still a beautiful place maybe it'll feel different when I'm retired and I have more time!

Or it may be time for an out-of-state hunt if you're going to spend all that time and money I'd like to see some deer Kansas or Missouri Maybe we need to try something different!

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Anyway goodbye my beloved rugged Upper Peninsula will see you again Lord willing in 2022!

I'm deciding whether to keep or sell my upper peninsula property and get something closer maybe in Mason or Oceana County something I can get to without spending a fortune in gas and driving for two days!

No matter what I will always love and cherish the 40 Years of hunting memories in the upper peninsula it's just too bad the deer herd has suffered so bad, not really sure how to get it back or if it'll ever come back in my lifetime, I would assume in pockets in the right areas it's still good!

·
Premium Member
11,824 Posts
Also Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow outdoorsmen, I wish you and your families a peaceful and blessed holiday season!

Happy hunting all, we are truly blessed to live in such a Beautiful State!
I hope you find what will make you happier about hunting Michigan deer. I don’t know if I could ever hunt anywhere else but the U P. Maybe someday I will be forced to decide. Maybe just look to a different area of the UP. Happy thanksgiving

Reactions: stickbow shooter

·
Premium Member
11,824 Posts
My wife and I moved up here to Menominee County last fall. My plan is to sit on a ridge next to our cedar swamp and hope for the best. If we get inclement weather, there is an old blind that I can sit in. Safe travels to all the hunters coming to the UP.

View attachment 798065 View attachment 798066
Those old shacks come in handy. Just replaced an old one with a new cedar one. Welcome to the UP Mike. I’m in the Spalding powers area. Where about are you in the county

Reactions: StumpHunter

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Well a lot I could write about here, let's just say the deer hunting was very sketchy, not much sign in central Iron County, ...The more disturbing thing it's just a bunch of guys getting older being grumpy no fun in the camp, just wondering how many more I've got left in me, ...still a beautiful place maybe it'll feel different when I'm retired and I have more time!
Or it may be time for an out-of-state hunt if you're going to spend all that time and money I'd like to see some deer Kansas or Missouri Maybe we need to try something different!
IMO, there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, worse in camp than having even one grumpy person. The only thing even remotely close is the person who only pitches in with chores if told specifically to do something, and the next day they head for the crapper when it is time for dishes. FM

·
Registered
37,538 Posts
I just can’t imagine not hunting the UP. We own over 500 acres in Huron county that I haven’t been to in years. I just can get into hunting within ear shot of non stop human background noise. The constant drone of sugar beet trucks just ruins the piece and quiet I asocciate with hunting.

·
Registered
12,094 Posts
Anyway goodbye my beloved rugged Upper Peninsula will see you again Lord willing in 2022!

I'm deciding whether to keep or sell my upper peninsula property and get something closer maybe in Mason or Oceana County something I can get to without spending a fortune in gas and driving for two days!

No matter what I will always love and cherish the 40 Years of hunting memories in the upper peninsula it's just too bad the deer herd has suffered so bad, not really sure how to get it back or if it'll ever come back in my lifetime, I would assume in pockets in the right areas it's still good!
Did you check out the area I messaged you about ?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hunted Iron county with son and brother since 10/31. One of us was always up there. We were determined to not miss the Rut. Well, not sure what went on this year. No chasing, very few rubs and scrapes. Most bucks on camera at night. On our 80 acres the same family doe groups were together throughout. I can’t explain it. Full moon? Breeding / chasing at night? anyhow, always a fun time and I love the UP but our expectations were too high as usual. Now all the 2nd guessing. Bait or not to bait. Was my stands in the right spots. Frustratin. Now the 340:day wait begins. Ugh.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I went to the UP for about 15 years and loved every minute of it and swore I’d never enjoy anything else as much. We bought a camp in the NW lower 2 years ago. This year was the first time I didn’t go to the UP since being “old enough” to go to camp. Thought I would miss it way more than I actually did. At the end of the day camp is about spending time with friends and family and enjoying time in the woods. And the time in the woods is a whole lot more enjoyable seeing a decent number of deer on a regular basis. Not to mention I can get there 15 or so times a year instead of 2-3 times. Maybe in 25 years I’ll retire up there but for now I think my UP deer hunting days are over. Bittersweet but have really enjoyed having a place that I can actually get some use out of.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well another year down for our annual hunting trip to Carney action was beyond slow 4 guys 2 deer with me not seeing a single deer in 55 hours in the woods. On the bright side its always a great time spending some time with my old man, god father, and cousin as we are all married now and way less time together. Sucks not bringing some venison home but thats hunting! Property has been in the family since 1920's and no plan on ever leaving its the perfect way to get away from reality!
Good luck to all still hunting these last few days! Stay safe pic from my blind and the 2 bucks we had on camera that we never saw during season early pic sept-oct 31st was last pic of either buck

Attachments

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Unfortunately no stick we didn't just scouted right around camp two of the guys went over by Perch Lake where the sign was better we were not able to go over with them, ended up doing a lot of Camp chores trying to get the water going in this new camp!

Oh to be young again and live in & Explorer the upper peninsula, like in the book,

A Love Affair with the UP, need to live up there to have that kind of time & find good spots!

Did you check out the area I messaged you about ?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Unfortunately no stick we didn't just scouted right around camp two of the guys went over by Perch Lake where the sign was better we were not able to go over with them, ended up doing a lot of Camp chores trying to get the water going in this new camp!

Oh to be young again and live in & Explorer the upper peninsula, like in the book,

A Love Affair with the UP, need to live up there to have that kind of time & find good spots!
Absolutely right, but when you do you sometimes take a lot of it for granted. FM

81 - 100 of 110 Posts